portable phone cabling
Apr 1, 2006 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
where can i get thin, flexible cable to recable portable phones? i have thin teflon silver-plated-copper but it's just too stiff. i imagine it's the teflon coat that is stiff? no? also: even if i cannot get good flexible cable such as what generally comes with phones, what's the thinest silver-plated-copper teflon i can get? perhaps i could get more flexible silver wire? mostly right now i'm thinking about doing some modifications to a pair of akg k81dj's, so i certainly would like to keep costs down.

also: what about a small (perhaps not all metal?) mini connector? any tiny ones? i'd want straight, not 90-degree for my ipod shuffle

ps: i'm also starting to speculate about the possibility of opening up these cans and replacing the headband with something much lighter and simpler, all in the spirit of having them low-profile in public....humm

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 3
If you want more flexible wire, you could try getting some with a higher number of strands. Looking through the Mouser catalog, it has 24 AWG teflon wire with either 7 strands of 32 gauge wire or 19 strands of 36 gauge wire. I'd assume that the one with the larger number of thinner strands would tend to be more flexible. I have no idea whether the Teflon insulation is any less flexible than PVC though.

I doubt it really matters if you go with 24 AWG or 30 AWG though, as the amount of current going through the wire is pretty small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back