Portable over-ear/closed back headphones under 200 USD?
Jan 25, 2020 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

capsilver

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good quality headphones with these features. I have small head so big ones are a bit uncomfortable. If they have portable size it would be great. I want to use them in my commuting, home and at work.

Some candidates:

• Audio Technica M60X
  • Beyerdynamic DT 240 Pro
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (32 ohm)
  • Sennheiser HD 25

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 16
I would look at the Drop Meze Noir they are a very nice headphone at the top of your budget. I would definitely pick them over the 770’s but haven’t heard the others you listed but don’t care much for the M50X but that is a personal preference as others love them but haven’t heard the M60X so don’t know. They don’t fold up like other portables but do come with a carry case for after use .
3C05076F-0576-4510-9D00-5DB92EBEC414.jpeg

This is a pic of the 99 Classics (pretty much same as the Noirs but different color scheme) next to my Sony WH-1000MX3’s so not that much bigger and way better sound but the Sony’s are wireless with anc and do fold the case is much smaller but as for sound quality they don’t come close to the Meze.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Sony mdr-1am2 is like 160 bucks on eBay. Extremely light. Should be quite comfortable. If comfort is your #1 priority, I'd stay away from on ear headphones.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 16
HD 25s are not over ear, they're on ear. They're quite fantastic and can take a beating. Every single part is available for sale so you buy one pair and you can keep it alive until Sennheiser goes out of business. And a lot of 3rd party parts are available for them, mostly not expensive.

They're ugly as hell though, the Mezze 99s are way more beautiful to look at. I have not heard them but I understand the Mezze has a V shaped curve whereas the HD 25s are DJ/monitoring headphones which are flattish if a little bit bright and can be driven to insane volumes without ruining them. Might not be the ultimate travel rig but should probably be in the arsenal.

I find the HD 25s very comfortable and they're extremely secure on the head. But you're gonna look like a spaceman so if you care what other people think, keep looking :D

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 16
Hi @capsilver,

First of all, welcome to headfi, apologies to your wallet in advance.

I suggest looking into the Coolermaster MH 751, pretty decent choice otherwise as already mentioned, Sony 1AM2 is also a good choice, as some places will have it on sale as I believe it is considered end of life by Sony.

Subjectively & personally, either of those I recommend above both have better sound quality than the choices you listed.

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 16
I would look at the Drop Meze Noir they are a very nice headphone at the top of your budget. I would definitely pick them over the 770’s but haven’t heard the others you listed but don’t care much for the M50X but that is a personal preference as others love them but haven’t heard the M60X so don’t know. They don’t fold up like other portables but do come with a carry case for after use .
This is a pic of the 99 Classics (pretty much same as the Noirs but different color scheme) next to my Sony WH-1000MX3’s so not that much bigger and way better sound but the Sony’s are wireless with anc and do fold the case is much smaller but as for sound quality they don’t come close to the Meze.
Thank you. But i don't have access to this brand in my country (Chile).

Sony mdr-1am2 is like 160 bucks on eBay. Extremely light. Should be quite comfortable. If comfort is your #1 priority, I'd stay away from on ear headphones.
I will check them out.

HD 25s are not over ear, they're on ear. They're quite fantastic and can take a beating. Every single part is available for sale so you buy one pair and you can keep it alive until Sennheiser goes out of business. And a lot of 3rd party parts are available for them, mostly not expensive.

They're ugly as hell though, the Mezze 99s are way more beautiful to look at. I have not heard them but I understand the Mezze has a V shaped curve whereas the HD 25s are DJ/monitoring headphones which are flattish if a little bit bright and can be driven to insane volumes without ruining them. Might not be the ultimate travel rig but should probably be in the arsenal.

I find the HD 25s very comfortable and they're extremely secure on the head. But you're gonna look like a spaceman so if you care what other people think, keep looking :D
My brother have a pair of HD25 and i really love it's sound. The only problem is the comfort. The pads are to hard. I use glasses son after half hour it start to hurt my ears. Maybe if i put them another ear pads?

Hi @capsilver,

First of all, welcome to headfi, apologies to your wallet in advance.

I suggest looking into the Coolermaster MH 751, pretty decent choice otherwise as already mentioned, Sony 1AM2 is also a good choice, as some places will have it on sale as I believe it is considered end of life by Sony.

Subjectively & personally, either of those I recommend above both have better sound quality than the choices you listed.

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !
Thanks you! I will check the Sony. Because i don't have access to the Coolermaster.

-

UPDATE:

Today i tried in a music store the Beyerdynamic DT 240 Pro and the DT 770 Pro (32 ohm). Imo the sound was really meh compared to the HD25. Is like the HD25 is crisp and fun in every spectrum. I don't know. I felt the sound of the BD a little bit muffled.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 16
DT770 32 has been told by other members it's a bit muffled. Have you tried the 80 ohm version? And what do you mean you don't have access to Meze brand? They accept PayPal and creditcard.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 16
If you like the sound from the HD 25, you might want to check out the 1 more triple driver over ear. I liked the HD 25 as well, but it was too uncomfortable. 1 more triple driver over ear sounds somewhat similar, but it's not as in your face, and has better Soundstage.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 16
There are a lot of pads for the HD 25. Sennheiser and Yaxi both have velour pads if you don't like the plastic.

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 16
Jan 29, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 16
Jan 29, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 16
Yes, but in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/por...eadphones-under-200-usd.924005/#post-15440199 the OP said he loves the HD 25. They are a great phone but he wanted alternative pads as far as I understood.
Exactly from the list i posted i tried both Beyerdynamic 770, 240 and the Senn HD 25. The HD 25 clicked instantly on me. Very clear and rich sound. I don't know if the Audio-Technica m50x or m60x will do the job. I must try them. Some friends say the Shure 440 but i don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back