Portable Over Ear Cans? ATH-m50s(x) or Phillips Uptown? - Help!
May 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

goldenTym3

New Head-Fier
Hey all, 

Poor college student here who is still a person who places a high value on quality of items and return on investment/getting your moneys worth all that jazz. I am looking for some new headphones.. I am looking for over ear, as on ear irritate my ears and I am also looking for some sound isolation (although its not the most important thing) and buds never stay in my ears and customs are too expensive. 

I listen to all kinds of music.. so a good "all-rounder" is what I am looking for. I know that ATH-m50's get a lot of praise, and the new x's are probably pretty well praised too. But I have also looked at Phillips Uptowns. Which I have heard are great and are a little more affordable. Other things I am looking for is durability, as I will be bringing them to classes, trips with me etc and don't want to have to worry about tossing them in a backpack or suitcase if need be. (Although I will do so carefully)

If anybody has any suggestions or comments they would be appreciated. And if anybody has a pair of either of these they are willing to part with send me a message!

Thanks,

Cody

May 7, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 10
My budget tops out at 100. Which is why I was thinking about the Phillips (They go new on Amazon for around 75 right now I think) And the M50x's are more expensive. Would probably be hard to find a pair in good shape for that price.

May 7, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 10
I've tried M50X on several occasions. I prefer the sound of my Denon DN-HP700. They're a discontinued model but still available for purchasing online. I find them much underrated, and the price is right for the sound they offer.

May 8, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 10
MT220 is one of the best cans you can get if you can up your budget up to $150, may be not portable like M50x due to the coiled cable, but it is much more refined neutral headphone which used be around $250...  otherwise get something like MDR7506, V6.

May 8, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 10
give the philips a pass..it has rolled off highs...the pads are undetachable...
u can t fold it... the fone slider control can be problematic...i taped it up.

=======
this could be a better buy for around 100bucks...
punchy bass , disco floor kind of sound, good enuf for jazz...club...vocals...reasonably clear.

======

of cos if u could snag a yamaha mt220...then that ends your headfi journey from the start.

all the above cans are v easy to power...off ipads..sansa clips..handfones.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back