portable on-ear headphones under 80$
May 22, 2015 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lukac

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I´m looking for good headphones under cca 80$, which I can use everywhere and will work good with my smartphone. 

I am listening to prog. rock, jazz, blues, acoustic guitar, folk, and classical music.

I was thinking about Fostex TH-7... Looks good. Have good reviews. Good price. I also stumbled over Grado SR80i, but I´m not sure if I´d walk with them in public. At home, I really don´t care about the design, but in public, I´d like to have something that looks good :)

So should I go for the TH-7?

Thanks for any advice 

May 22, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 6
The Skullcandy Grind (at $59) has been recently placed on the wall-of-fame at InnerFidelity.com. I have not heard them myself, so I'm not able to give my own insights - but their measurements look quite good for the price. Good luck with your search!

Also P.S.: Any reason you prefer on-ear headphones? Circumaural and in-ear headphones can also work quite well. Especially the in-ear segment is very competitive at your budget and I think you might be able to get a nicer sound from them in your budget.

May 22, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Those skullcandys looks pretty interesting. I´ve never actually looked for one, but looks really good and have good reviews. 

Well, I've always had IEMs for transport and traveling. I've had superlux hd381, V-sonic VSD-1 (those were really great, but unfortunately the cable broke... ), etc.....and recently, I've almost bought xiaomi pistons.

The thing is, that in every one of IEM I've had over the years, the cable at jack broke. Usually after 4 months of intensive using. And I'm really tired of buying new headphones all the time. So I thought that on-ear would be more durable (those skullcandys looks really durable) and would have better sound stage, and sound quality. 

// after few hours of searching, I am more and more thinking about the Grados... and I am even starting to like the design :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back