Portable On-Ear Headphone Advice
Jun 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jmoore914

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Discovered this sight a couple months ago and since then have purchased Monoprice 8320s, MEE M9s, MEE M11s, KSC75s and have some old HD 202s.
My wallet is starting to hurt but my ears need more music!

I am looking for a pair of On-Ear headphones (I like the wider soundstage and isolation does not matter at all) around $50 so I was wondering what y'all thought I should get. I could also get Over-Ear if they are much better sounding.
I like a very neutral sound, nothing bass heavy and if anything more mid heavy. I listen mainly to alt-rock (Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, ect) and lots of classic rock (Beatles, Who, Stones, ect.).
I also really want them to be as comfortable as possible since my ears hurt pretty quickly from a lot of clamping which is why I can't use the HD 202s for very long.

I was considering a couple options:

1. Sportapros ($25):  Using the headband to make the KSC75s into a nice set of headphones and then also having the KSC35 drivers. I could also get the parts-express headband   ($7) but I'd rather spend more if the quality is significantly better (which I'm pretty sure it is)

2. JVC S400 ($25): People have said these are essentially the same as S500 but with better mids and less bass heavy which sounds perfect to me and these sound like a pretty great bang-for-your-buck option

3. Superlux HD668B ($50): Very neutral and good reviews; closed though

4. Sony MDR-V6 ($70): Neutral and has been around forever with great reviews but most expensive and also closed

5. Panasonic RP-HTF600-S ($34): Cheap, good, but closed

6. Anything else you guys can think of!

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys give 
size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hey all,

Discovered this sight a couple months ago and since then have purchased Monoprice 8320s, MEE M9s, MEE M11s, KSC75s and have some old HD 202s.
My wallet is starting to hurt but my ears need more music!

I am looking for a pair of On-Ear headphones (I like the wider soundstage and isolation does not matter at all) around $50 so I was wondering what y'all thought I should get. I could also get Over-Ear if they are much better sounding.
I like a very neutral sound, nothing bass heavy and if anything more mid heavy. I listen mainly to alt-rock (Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, ect) and lots of classic rock (Beatles, Who, Stones, ect.).
I also really want them to be as comfortable as possible since my ears hurt pretty quickly from a lot of clamping which is why I can't use the HD 202s for very long.

I was considering a couple options:

1. Sportapros ($25):  Using the headband to make the KSC75s into a nice set of headphones and then also having the KSC35 drivers. I could also get the parts-express headband   ($7) but I'd rather spend more if the quality is significantly better (which I'm pretty sure it is)

2. JVC S400 ($25): People have said these are essentially the same as S500 but with better mids and less bass heavy which sounds perfect to me and these sound like a pretty great bang-for-your-buck option

3. Superlux HD668B ($50): Very neutral and good reviews; closed though

4. Sony MDR-V6 ($70): Neutral and has been around forever with great reviews but most expensive and also closed

5. Panasonic RP-HTF600-S ($34): Cheap, good, but closed

6. Anything else you guys can think of!

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys give 
size]

V6 is good for rock, but it has recessed lower mids. Superlux should be semi open, and give you more sound stage than typical closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back