Portable Mp3 CD player (iRiver) vs modest DVD player ?
Feb 18, 2006 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
I sometimes listen to Mp3s at work and was wondering if an investment in a lower end DVD etc player (i.e $50) would yield better Mp3 (or redbook) playback than my iRver Slimx. Does anybody have a point of comparison. TIA

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 12
If you pick the "right" DVD player (i.e. one known to have good sound, perhaps a model often selected for modding) I think you'll get much better sound than you would from a PCDP (both MP3 and Redbook). If it's some off-brand cheapie or older player, the odds are less good IME.

The stock Toshiba SD-3980 I recently picked up wipes out my PCDPs in a number of ways, although I was very skeptical at first it exceeded my expectations. Still concerned about build quality though, and the possibility of early failure (endemic in these players).

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
If you pick the "right" DVD player (i.e. one known to have good sound, perhaps a model often selected for modding) I think you'll get much better sound than you would from a PCDP (both MP3 and Redbook). If it's some off-brand cheapie or older player, the odds are less good IME.

Good point, I was only going to look at brand names i.e Toshiba, Philips, Panasonic and so on. What is the Mp3 playback on your Toshiba like ?

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Good point, I was only going to look at brand names i.e Toshiba, Philips, Panasonic and so on. What is the Mp3 playback on your Toshiba like ?

I've only used it for Redbook so far, but I'll try & test it today with some MP3s. Don't see why it wouldn't be good though, as it uses the same DAC/transport.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Never Mind - I looked the manual up online and it seems to only be able to handle CBR and 650Mb disks and guess what format mine are mostly in
plainface.gif

Shame

Feb 19, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 12
With my samsung DVD-HD 950 (universal player, street price is $150~250), I can listen to deeper and softer sound than my iPod (3rd 40G, Apple Lossless).

I can tell that treble and bass become more musical, too. Since then, I am using my iPod just for a portable music player.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The stock Toshiba SD-3980 I recently picked up wipes out my PCDPs in a number of ways, although I was very skeptical at first it exceeded my expectations. Still concerned about build quality though, and the possibility of early failure (endemic in these players).

I have to agree with Fewtch, the Toshiba SD-3980 is a real audio bargain at the $60 I paid for it, it certainly sounds better than my IRiver.
A real audio bargain !!

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199
I have to agree with Fewtch, the Toshiba SD-3980 is a real audio bargain at the $60 I paid for it, it certainly sounds better than my IRiver.
A real audio bargain !!

I am also pleasantly surprised by the $60 Philips DVP642 that I picked up. I have not compared it against my PCDPs yet but it holds up very well against my NAD C542 which given that the NAD is a lot more expensive is quite impressive if somewhat irritating - I console myself with the fact that it has a lot more mechanical noise than the NAD.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
I am also pleasantly surprised by the $60 Philips DVP642 that I picked up. I have not compared it against my PCDPs yet but it holds up very well against my NAD C542 which given that the NAD is a lot more expensive is quite impressive if somewhat irritating - I console myself with the fact that it has a lot more mechanical noise than the NAD.

Very interesting. That is something.

Used lined out to my amp and headphone, the iRiver IMP 350 or 400 sound the same, and are clean but lean of tone, and have some bass deficits.

The Nad 542 is not as lean and has better bass and dynamics.

The E5 is clearly better than the NAD 542 in every way.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Very interesting. That is something.

Used lined out to my amp and headphone, the iRiver IMP 350 or 400 sound the same, and are clean but lean of tone, and have some bass deficits.

The Nad 542 is not as lean and has better bass and dynamics.

The E5 is clearly better than the NAD 542 in every way.

I use the IMP350 at work and with a Pimeta and DT990s it produces a perfectly adequate sound, though I always feel that the sound it is a bit fragile.

The cheapo Philips really does sound like a proper (albeit low end) hifi component. It may be a bit brighter than the NAD but I honestly cannot say that there is that much in it (though my opinion may change over time as I get used to it). In which case either one punches above it's weight or the other below it or most probable *I* cannot tell the difference and should forget upgrades and buy more CDs instead
biggrin.gif

I cannot comment on the E5, except to add my admiration that you have managed to work it into another thread, and one about cheap DVD players at that
biggrin.gif

I am joking by the way !

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 12
So 'Red Book' is just an audiophiles way of saying CD?

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
So 'Red Book' is just an audiophiles way of saying CD?

Yes, the legend is that the standards for different CD formats were kept in different coloured ring binders and audio Cd was Red hence RED BOOK.

What use is language other than excluding the uninitiated
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back