Portable metalhead phones for $150?
Mar 8, 2006 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

josh files

New Head-Fier
What are the best metal portable headphones for $150? The source will be a portable audio player, most likely a iRiver H120 or H320. My budget raising from $40 to $150, I thought it would be best to make another thread. I will be using these in both noisy environments and quiet environments, so something with isolation and little leak would be ideal. Although my budget is $150, I would prefer something around $100, but I would be willing to go that high. Also, I am in New Zealand, so I would prefer relativly popular headphones, as we don't have such a large selection here. Thanks!

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh files
What are the best metal portable headphones for $150? The source will be a portable audio player, most likely a iRiver H120 or H320. My budget raising from $40 to $150, I thought it would be best to make another thread. I will be using these in both noisy environments and quiet environments, so something with isolation and little leak would be ideal. Although my budget is $150, I would prefer something around $100, but I would be willing to go that high. Also, I am in New Zealand, so I would prefer relativly popular headphones, as we don't have such a large selection here. Thanks!

Do you mean METAL like music? I use AKG K26P and they are pretty good for portable use, price +/-USD 45.
You can try AKG K81DJ to, have read a good review about it, just seurch here a bit and you will find it, price +/- USD 70.
The other one is Audio Technica ES 5 or ES 7 but thats more than your budget, i think.
I dont mention other models, because your want one with isolation and those are CLOSE BACK models.
Use Ebay, that can help you to find any phones you like
eggosmile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 7
if you feel like strechting your budget, the Sennheiser HD 25-1's are the best portable/closed headphones you can get. i use them myself on a daily basis for my metal fix
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 7
^ 2nd!

I've been using HD25-1s for about 2 weeks now and listened to pretty much heaps of heavy rock...and woah! they are the best portables I've ever heard.

You can throw them about without any problems of breaking, they are built to be thown about and used as portables. They are expensive but, you really get what you pay for. In addition they should last for years.

...maybe see if you can audition a pair somewhere to see what you think?

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 7
If you listen metal with techical riffs and such, dont get AKG K 26 P. I made that mistake, but they were useless with deathmetal and other technical metals. Their bass overpowers everything, and highs are almost non-existent. I suggest to check Grados and Alessandro's for that department.

If you listen simple, powerchording forms of metal like industrial and nu-metal, AKG K26P is good choice. I heard AKG K81DJ is more balanced than original K26P though.

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Too bad you need little leak and some isolation, IMO Grados are the perfect headphone for metal. Ironically, the metal ones (MS-2, SR-325) are the best for the task I've tried so far. The attack is amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back