Portable JISBOS with gain
Jan 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NelsonVandal

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had my stripboard portable JISBOS for a while, modding it back and forth. From 3 ch JISBOS to 2 ch passive ground to 3 ch with opamp ground etc. I'm sorry I cut the board and removed the ground channel. The sound has been good all the time though, but it was best with JISBOS in all 3 ch. I fooled myself to believe that using the center point of the batteries was better for ground. The sound was more impressive and a bit "expanded stereo" but got tiresome in the long run.

My point is: first I made it to the spec's in the first schematic HeadWize: DIY Workshop > discrete buffer: jisbos (air wired), and I found that 12V supply was a minimum to get a good sound and if I added gain there was distrortion. Since amb lowered the bias to the input stage HeadWize: View Post [DIY Workshop > discrete buffer: jisbos (air wired)], the voltage swing seems to have improved and now I've finally added gain to it again. And it's playing loud and good. The gain is set with a 3.3k in the feedback loop and 1k from this to ground, not sure what the gain is exactly. Since I was stupid enough to cut the board and remove the ground channel I use this virtual ground circuit suggested by Nico Ras at Diyaudio.com for one of my other projects.
attachment.php

The amp is housed in a Hammond C1201 with 10 AAA's. I have the bias set to about 25 mA, so I still have a good run-time. It sounds very good. It has that "soul" opamp based amps are lacking. If it colors the sound, it's a bit warmer/fatter. It brings back this hobby to what it's all about - enjoying music.

I'm in the middle of making a BISBOS (all bipolar amp) - a combination of JISBOS and Hiragas le Classe A, with the help from Nico Ras. I'm still awaiting the parts (and time) to complete it, but I have one channel running. It's designed for 9V supply (8 AAA's) to make it portable. I'm planning on using a little bigger box this time, a Hammond J1201, so it will be easier to tweak and look nicer. Nick is laying out a nice PCB.

People here has always been saying it's impossible to make class A discrete portable amps, but I'm doing my best to prove you're wrong so I can step out of the opamp swamp
tongue.gif

There's another a guy at Headwize.com, who has been making a battery powered JISBOS as well. The wheels are turning.
HeadWize: DIY Workshop > Little discrete portable amp (a bit less stupid than first time )

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eokboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PCB slots into 1455J120x?

1455J1201 with outer measures 78x43x120. The board is 74x120 mm with a cut-out for the batteries.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 15
If you're curious of the schematic for JISBOS, use the links above. All I did was to add the virtual ground circuit from "BISBOS" and the resistors mentioned above to give it some gain. I bet it could be optimized for lower voltage. Maybe we should do some lobbyism, and hope amb will put togeter a 3 ch JISBOS with gain and optimized for 9V supply. If class AB operation is acceptable and used with a 9V battery, I think it could be fit in a C801 like Mini3. I'm sure it could be fit inside a J1201, since I've had 3 ch of JISBOS and 10 AAA's in a C1201. Maybe JISBOS could be upgraded with current mirrors for even better performance.

If you want to see the all bipolar amp, this is it. It's optimized for the MPSA-transistors. I use BC's in the prototype, and slighlty othter resistor values. After I've seen everything is working allright, maybe some of you would like to share it?
wholeampyr7.jpg

onechannelug3.jpg

layoutnd8.jpg

toppe0.jpg

bottomex9.jpg

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 15
BTW, have you seen this. It's almost a JISBOS with gain, current mirrors and MOSFETS as output transistors. I bet it sounds good and could be made for battery power.
Headphone Amplifier
sch01_1.jpg

Why can't Dynahi and the likes of it be converted for lower power and bias? Even if such amps don't sound as good as high powered/biased amps, they could still sound good and be an alternative to opamp based amps. It has to be possible to make such amps. It's much cooler to have a hot amp in your pocket
cool.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 15
Can you imagine something like this having lower noise than the best opamps? The noise level is lower than in my Mini3 and my LISAIII-clone with AD797/LM6171! The JISBOS is just as quiet.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 15
Shopper, I'm not doing this for the noise level. It's the musicality. You should know. You'd definately like the JISBOS. It's really all you ever wanted. Trust me. Opamps sound like a good TV-set, discretes like a cinema. The real image can't yet be had.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 15
just for laugh.... as i know,my guys,Chinese diyer friends,not be interested in these diyer designed "free" amp at all,except the KG,they are addicted in "Copy" some famous commercial amps such as SOLO,LennMan,A1.....i hate to do these things.... not so many Chinese like to design or pay attention to designed amps at head-fi,headwize,diyaudio....i feel so sorry about that....

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 15
there a so many hifi builder ,hifi businessman in China,but not designer as i seen here

maybe i have said something impolite,i am sorry,but i feel that what a pity that my dear friends don't accept these good designs

so they won't "make this amp cheap" --- low price and popular

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I see. Well, luckily we aren't speaking of art, and a copy can still be quite good.
biggrin.gif

I agree, copying is good to some extent. Copying pushes things forward. Designers can't just settle down with something they made 10 years ago. They have to come up with something new and better, and when they've pushed things beyond good, we can go back to retro designs and be happy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back