Portable-ish DAC Under $50? Under $30 Preferred
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #16 of 24
This is an amazing time for used purchases. I’ve seen relatively new stuff sell for 1/2 price. You will like the HD650s!

Not familiar with the Audio Technica headphones.
Yeah, I think I'm going with the HD650s...

Also, the ATH-700ADX are marketed as "air" headphones, but it turns out the HD650s weigh less anyway haha.

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #17 of 24
What has not been brought up is the HD650 headphones are open back, This adds to their audiophile quality, but can become a problem taking them outside as they let all the sounds both in and out.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #18 of 24
What has not been brought up is the HD650 headphones are open back, This adds to their audiophile quality, but can become a problem taking them outside as they let all the sounds both in and out.
Yeah, very true... Guessing you didn't see my message from before :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So true... I'm starting to really REALLY like the idea of separate, portable (current headphones are foldable), closed-back and stay-at-home, open-back cans. No leaking music on the bus, but hi-fi sounds at home.

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 24
Ok, I'm a little worried. Need some more suggestions.

So the FiiO E18 Kunlun, which the DAC being sold, has a recommended impedance of 150 ohms according to FiiO. HD650 have an impedance of 300 ohms. Saw this post here (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fiio-e18/talk/25797) of people saying this isn't a good pair. What do you think?

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 24
Just have to say the K18 and 650’s for $150 you can’t go wrong if both are in good condition and original box. The Massdrop HD-6xx’s ( 650’s with different colors and slight build difference but same sound) go for $199 and if those are in good shape should sell for what you’re paying for the combo if not a bit less . The HD-650 is a excellent headphone when driven properly haven’t heard it from the K18 so can’t say but is a decent headphone for resale.

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 24
Just have to say the K18 and 650’s for $150 you can’t go wrong if both are in good condition and original box. The Massdrop HD-6xx’s ( 650’s with different colors and slight build difference but same sound) go for $199 and if those are in good shape should sell for what you’re paying for the combo if not a bit less . The HD-650 is a excellent headphone when driven properly haven’t heard it from the K18 so can’t say but is a decent headphone for resale.

Heard so much good about the HD-6XX, but this is definetly what I need. Should've also mentioned that I plan to use the DAC to power my portable Samson Z35 and I got the price down to $120.
Going to take my current Samson Z35 with me to test with the DAC, and see if this is really what I want. I couldn't imagine not wanting it though, I know the HD650 are a great pair of cans and I've heard good things about the E18 as well. While I wish I had the budget to get the HD6XX with a nicer DAC, I don't plan to be an insane audiophile. Just a little upgrade to my $60 cans and my April '11 motherboard.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #22 of 24
Not a problem. It is your money not mine.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #23 of 24
Show us cell-phone pics after your purchase so we can enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back