Portable Hi-Fi Player under 300USD
Sep 24, 2015 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Alexis13

New Head-Fier
Hello to everybody.
Since I've just receieved my FLC 8S that for the moment are to be used with Ipod toush 4gen+Minibox ES, I'd like to upgrade a little bit my source.
What would you recommend to use for detailed sound (quite neutral) for instrument and vocal music?
The price range is indicated in title.
For the moment I consider as equvalent to Itouch+Minibox (in order of preference as usual):
1. Hidizs AP100
2. FiiO X5 (2nd gen)
3. Ibasso DX90
4. Lotoo PAW 5000

Any other suggestions maybe?
Any feedback is welcome

P.S. the price is not fixed and can be changed slightly if there will be e real sense to spend more.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 10
I prefer the DX90 to the original X5 if that helps, just a more natural and neutral sound.

What about a Hifiman HM650 ? Or is that too much ?

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 10
I prefer the DX90 to the original X5 if that helps, just a more natural and neutral sound.

What about a Hifiman HM650 ? Or is that too much ?

I haven't read about 650 (and friendly speaking yes - a little bit too much for me, but I have to read some reviews about it and evaluate, another doubt about Hifiman is the built quality).
When I was speaking about X5 I intended the 2nd gen (now I will correct my intial post).
I'll take in consideration your opinion and put a "+" to the side of the DX90. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 10
having auditioned all 3 daps from your list (plus owned the hm650) - for your requirement - i would suggest that you get the dx90...simply because you can load a variation of firmware (Mango, RB, etc custom firmware) and if you use RB with the dx90, it might suit your need
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 10
  having auditioned all 3 daps from your list (plus owned the hm650) - for your requirement - i would suggest that you get the dx90...simply because you can load a variation of firmware (Mango, RB, etc custom firmware) and if you use RB with the dx90, it might suit your need
wink.gif

One more "+" to the DX90... Thanks for your suggestion.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Modified my post a little bit - added also Lotoo PAW5000. Any opinions compared with FiiO X5ii?

For the moment I'm considering to purchase Fiio X5ii by two reasons:
1. Price - DX90 is around 450USD but X5ii about 350USD.
2. SQ is a little bit better than DX90 or at least not worse than DX90, but again the price is lower and I prefer to have the same SQ at a lower price.

Now another doubt - could be that Lotoo PAW5000 is the better choice instead of Fiio X5ii in terms of SQ?

P.S. I'm planning to use one of these DAPs with FLC 8S IEMs that are really impressed me with their SQ.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Tried out also Shanling M2. Didn't satisfied with SQ.
Now I'm thinking to order Cayin N5.
But have a doubt again.
At the end the list is like this:
1. Cayin N5 - seems that can suit my requirements
2. Fiio X5ii - seems that may be too bassy for me, that I don't like when the bass is highly expressed
3. Aune M2 (not PRO version)

Friendly speaking I'd proceed with Aune M2, but it can not be used as a USB DAC.
In this case at this price range and size format there is only one favorite - Cayin N5... Or are there any suggestions?

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Go with your preference.

I tested quite a few players including AK Jr, X7 etc,  in the end narrowed down to X5II, DX80 and N5 but my feeling tells me X5II is more suitable for me and my headphones. So I gotten that.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Hi ! what did you decide on ? I am in the same dilemma. I am looking at the fiio X5 first gen as its 215 dollars now. But the shanling M2 is right on the same price margin.

Is the Dx90 worth the extra 130 dollars ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back