Portable Headphones
Jul 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MrBeggar

New Head-Fier
Recently bought the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm version and need another headphone for portable use.

Recommend me a good portable can $200 and below that *possibly* has a detachable cable.

I was looking at the ATH M50 (AS A LAST RESORT) but am currently looking at the Ultrasone Pro 550 / Ultrasone Hfi 780 (around the same price range).

I kind of don't want to spend money for the Sennheiser 25 HD-1 II even though from people's opinions it's a really good pair of portable headphones.

I like the sound of the DT 770 Pro (I'm a newbie coming from Apple earbuds).  On ear, over ear...doesn't matter as long as isolation and build quality is top notch.

If the headphones come with a case that's a plus.  If it can collapse it's a plus.

No open headphones but semi open is a possibility...

Thanks.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 15
Do you want something bassy? Do you favor detail over warmth or vice-versa? What is your source? Are looks important?

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 15
I have the DT 770 Pro 80 version and I'm pretty satisfied with the sound signature.  Unfortunately it's not as portable as I would have liked.

Looks are semi important but really not the dealbreaker for me.  I will be using these through my iPod as well as my laptop which did power my DT 770s quite well.  My iPod did not have any trouble as well.

To be honest I would prefer a headphone that came with a detachable cable and is collapsable or foldable (swivel earcups).  If it comes with a case its a plus as well.  I will not be buying an amp cause that limits my portability as I travel often and travel a lot. I also like to keep my headphones around my neck and walk around with them.

I have been looking at some cans such as the Ultrasone Pro 550 and maybe someone can comment on its sound signature and whether or not they make great portable headphones.

Also IDK if someone owns wireless headphones and how convenient they are for portable use.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 15
For travel purposes, if planes or trains are involved you may want to get an IEM instead of full-sizers. It's nearly useless to listen to a pair of full-size headphones on a plane.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 15
You could get a Sennheiser HD25-I II or Amperior and have a great-looking, great-sounding, durable, on-ear, comfortable headphone for general portable use.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 15
Yeah I was talking about general portable use...

The Amperiors look great but the price tag is a little high as well as the HD25-I II. 

I like the style of both.  How about the BlueAnt Embrace Headphones?  They look like the B&W P5 just a cheaper version.  If anyone can comment on this please do.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Yeah I was talking about general portable use...

The Amperiors look great but the price tag is a little high as well as the HD25-I II. 

I like the style of both.  How about the BlueAnt Embrace Headphones?  They look like the B&W P5 just a cheaper version.  If anyone can comment on this please do.

I haven't heard them myself, but Jude seems to like them. However, I believe they'd be a step down from the Sennheisers.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 15
Have you considered or heard of the V-MODA Crossfade M-80? It seems to be a good match for you.

Here's some features:
>$200 on Amazon, prices can get lower
>On-ear, portable
>Comes with a hard exoskeleton case
>Detachable cable, comes with extras
>Remote/mic cable
>Cable is made with kevlar
>Headphones themselves are incredibly durable; has a special mechanism when dropped
>Semi-open/vented, but doesn't leak much; closer to a closed can than an open one
>Some people prefer the M-80 to the HD25
>Customizable face plates

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B007TRUY6C
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-80-white-pearl/

EDIT: Also, I don't think the ATH-M50 is a good choice for portable use...it's far too bulky and cumbersome IMO.
Also, if you're getting the straight cable version, the cable is very, VERY long so you'll have to keep it tied together if you plan on carrying it with you.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Have you considered or heard of the V-MODA Crossfade M-80? It seems to be a good match for you.

Here's some features:
>$200 on Amazon, prices can get lower
>On-ear, portable
>Comes with a hard exoskeleton case
>Detachable cable, comes with extras
>Remote/mic cable
>Cable is made with kevlar
>Headphones themselves are incredibly durable; has a special mechanism when dropped
>Semi-open/vented, but doesn't leak much; closer to a closed can than an open one
>Some people prefer the M-80 to the HD25
>Customizable face plates

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B007TRUY6C
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-80-white-pearl/

+1 and the true blood version is $20 cheaper 

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 15
I see price is like a reoccuring problem here. SO for some extreme budget cans maybe take a look at the Monoprice 8323. Over the ear dj style. Detachable cable. Folds up to be pretty portable. They are only $30, but for the price I'm quite impressed with the sound, albeit on the warm side of things. If your interested here's a more complete review. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #13 of 15
Price isn't a recurring problem.  I already spent money on my other not-so portable headphones (DT 770) and the Amperiors are not on Amazon for $200.  I am already considering the HD-1 II and the M-80s (both great choices).

Thank you for the recommendations.  I'll take these into consideration.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 15
I personally prefer the HD25-1 II in terms of sonic performance, but it's all down to everyone's individual taste. If you can, test out both before buying or at least read tons of reviews to decide which sound signature fits you best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back