portable headphones that can reproduce full can sound?
May 24, 2005 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
Can anyone suggest a set of portable headphones that can mimic the clarity, detail and precision of something like my Grado full-size, defnitely not portable cans? Am I asking for the impossible? I own a pair of Koss Portapros, which aren't enough.

Thanks in advance.

May 24, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 10
Depends on what your deffinition of portable is and how critical your listening tastes are.

SR60 is the no brainer, but its not exactly portable IMHO.
KSC75 + impedence adapter and portable amp, but even then it lacks refinement and is a little loose / conjested sounding compared to an amped SR60.

Some HIGH end canalphones perhaps... Sensas or UE. IMHO shure e2c or e3c wont get you there.

**edit**
There were some discussions about those little crossfeed adapters, and their ability to open up some canal phones, and stretch the soundstage outside of the listeners head. Might want to look into that as an option. I might give them a try with my amped e2c.

Anyone else???

Garrett

May 24, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
Can anyone suggest a set of portable headphones that can mimic the clarity, detail and precision of something like my Grado full-size, defnitely not portable cans? Am I asking for the impossible? I own a pair of Koss Portapros, which aren't enough.

Thanks in advance.

HD 25-1 could do it.

May 24, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 10
If you want the best sound, KSC-35, no question.

I like the sound better than the PP's, especially with the center-hole mod.
Some people seem to favor the KSC-75 in terms of comfort. Personally, the 35's are more comfortable, lighter in weight, and not as goofy/alien looking as the 75's. The 75's can be a bit cumbersome whereas I often forget that the 35's are even on after a few minutes.
The bottom line though, judging from your request, is that the sound of the 75's just doesn't compare to the KSC-35's. Other people seem to think they sound very similar, but I'm confident that if someone with discriminating taste were to use both regularly, the sonic differences between the two would become more and more obvious.

I don't think you can get portables any closer to the full-size Grado sound than 35's.

May 24, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 10
I have found that the Koss UR-40 to give me that full size sound in a portable headphone with their full size ear cups but they fold up fore portable use and have a short cord. They sound like the portapros but with a bigger sound.

May 24, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
HD 25-1 could do it.

I dunno, I heard a pair of HD25-1 at the mini-NYC meet, and compared to the KSC-35, it sounded quite muffly and congested - could just be the nature of circumaural pads, but there you go. I preferred the KSC-35 from the same source/amp (Ipod to SR71 via Sik Din lineout).

May 24, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 10
From experience with the Grados SR225 Equalized Shure E3, Equalized ER4p both which ar portable can rival the grados in clarity, detail. In the shures you would need to equalize the bass and highs, or decrease the midrange, and on the ER4p you would just boost the bass at extreme levels. The shures equalized I think will give you more a detail, and clarity in a level the rivals the grados, but lose at impact. The Er4 will beat the grados even further as far as detail, and clarity, but still would lose at impact. Unequalized neither has a Grado sound IMO. EQ the shures and etys can rival the grados. When extremely equalized the shures will give a sound closer to grados as far as fullness, but the etys will give you more of that Grado popular attack. If you have a good equalizer this are two worth trying. I haven't tried other portable phones worth mentioning. The shure E4c, and the other dual drivers I expect would do better Uneq.

May 24, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
From experience with the Grados SR225 Equalized Shure E3, Equalized ER4p both which ar portable can rival the grados in clarity, detail. In the shures you would need to equalize the bass and highs, or decrease the midrange, and on the ER4p you would just boost the bass at extreme levels. The shures equalized I think will give you more a detail, and clarity in a level the rivals the grados, but lose at impact. The Er4 will beat the grados even further as far as detail, and clarity, but still would lose at impact. Unequalized neither has a Grado sound IMO. EQ the shures and etys can rival the grados. When extremely equalized the shures will give a sound closer to grados as far as fullness, but the etys will give you more of that Grado popular attack. If you have a good equalizer this are two worth trying. I haven't tried other portable phones worth mentioning. The shure E4c, and the other dual drivers I expect would do better Uneq.

frequency response is only part of the equation. I agree that EQ-ing any of the Shures can get very close to the sonic signature. IMHO its the spatial ambiance, soundstage and depth that is the most difficult part for any canalphone to replicate.

May 24, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
frequency response is only part of the equation. I agree that EQ-ing any of the Shures can get very close to the sonic signature. IMHO its the spatial ambiance, soundstage and depth that is the most difficult part for any canalphone to replicate.

What I am saying is that these canalphones provide detail and clarity rivaling full size headphones. The detail and clarity of canalphones like the shures and etys (E3, ER4p), I find to be in a rivaling level, or better than that of the Grados. Imaging wize the Etys, shures are as good or better than many full size headphones (not all however). I agree however that canalphones (at least the ones I have tried) cannot provide the soundstage, impact and depth a good pair full size headphones can. The Sensas, Westones, Challenger series, and UEs may be able to do what full size headphones can. So other than just frequency response, detail, clarity and imaging, can be done on canlphones just as good (or better) as it can be done headphones, however when it comes to fullness of sound, impact, soundstage, and depth canalphones don't do very well.

(BTW what do you mean by depth; I have seen this word various times in this forum, but don't know it's exact meaning when it comes to sound;

Thanks)

May 25, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz

Thanks in advance.

This might not be possible for headphones (but earphones/canalphones could do the trick).

Read some of the threads on the Senn
plainface.gif
px 100, 200 and the AKGs 24P, 26P...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back