Portable Headphones over-ear under $240 (edited thread)
Jun 27, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #16 of 26
Jun 27, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #17 of 26
Thanks.
I think I'll go for the FiiO E06 amp though, its a cheap and small amp and with the M50x headphones it'll be within my budget, and since I'd like to get more sound (the sound on my phone is just a tiny bit too low IMO) it wouldn't really hurt buying the E06 amp, after all the amp alone isn't going to cost that much more than buying an extra battery and a charger (maybe twice the price, but the E06 isn't that expensive anyways)

Well I just checked and the Momentum headphones are on sale here in Norway, so I might buy those instead, but I would like to have the more portable M50x though, so how much of an improvement are the Momentum headphones?

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #18 of 26
No problem mate. I can see your rationale & it makes sense. I can't speak as to the relative merits of the Momentum v AT. I have heard the Momentum though & I wasn't impressed.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #19 of 26
I did some reading and a lot of people say the Momentum are an upgrade, and that the M50x can be a bit harsh on the ears if you listen to Metal at higher volumes, so I'm atm leaning more towards the Momentum.
The M50x are also a bit more fatiguing while the Momentum has more comfortable highs and a better/wider soundstage according to some people, but the momentum has a more mellow sound according to one reviewer, but with the FiiO E06s 3 different EQ settings that should help give the music some more punch if I find the Momentum to be a bit too mellow. (but a bit too mellow is better than a bit too harsh IMO)

I used to use a pair of Sennheiser PC360 G4ME headphones for my gaming a while back, they're open-air so the bass was lacking, but except for that it had a sound signature that fit me really really well, even though my D600 headphones are much better I still find the sound signature of the Sennheiser headphones to fit me better.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #20 of 26
Although metal is not my main preference I do listen to it occasionally. By far the best sound I've heard was with my V-Moda M-100's, Fiio E18 & SGN3. That sounded spectacular with my metal preferences. Namely, Oomph!, Megaherz, Eisbrecher etc.

The only reasons I ended up switching to what's in my signature were the battery consumption and the sheer physical size.

I know the M-100 is over your budget but it's way better for your particular genre than the Momentum.

As ever though, YMMV.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #21 of 26
Well it is tempting, I might go way over budget, it's unfortunately a bad habit I have, especially when it comes to certain electronics because I want the best experience possible, and I've been disappointed way too many times with lower budget stuff.
How are the M-100's when listening to stuff like Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, Corrosion of Conformity, Clutch, Alice in Chains and ASG for example?
If I get the M-100 I might even use them for home use if they work nicely with the music I listen to the most, the D600 works fine for most of the stuff I use them for (gaming, movies and music), but for home use (more specifically gaming and movies) I'm planing on upgrading sometime next year.

Update: The V-Moda's are on sale on Amazon, and they ship to my location. $250 but with shipping and import fees it'll cost me $370 vs the Sennheiser Momentum which is going to cost me $240 (domestic of course)

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #22 of 26
I live quite far away from any place that allows me to try audiophile grade headphones, so the only thing I have to go on is my Denon AH-D600 headphones connected to my Objective2 amp and Xonar Essence STX soundcard, so when I turn up the bass as much as I can without the bass getting muddy, I still think the bass is a bit lacking for my taste, but I hope that change once I switch to a tube amp.

But I'd rather buy something that produces a tight and full bass rather than something that produces a lot of bass, but sounds muddy, I want the bass to compliment the music and not just be all about the bass.

Tube amps are for adding slight sound variation. If you want more bass, you need to either use EQ or buy bassier headphones :)

I haven't heard the D600. But based on the measurements I have seen for them, the M50X might be a bit bass light for you. Best to hold off on the E6 until you've had a chance to test the M50X with your STX/O2 and see if you need bass EQ. If you do, then it would probably be worth stepping up to the E11K with it's built in bass boost and additional power (for boosting bass with your phone EQ). And the M50X are a lot more difficult to drive than your D600s with much lower sensitivity. Could be the Momentums would be better in this regard, but I'd still wait on ordering the amp to do some testing.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 26
I ended up ordering the Momentum instead of the M50x because they're within my price range (it was 18% off), they have a more organic sound, not as punchy bass as M50x but it has a warmer bass (warmth in music is really important to me, more important than punch, if I could I would go for both/something in between), the highs are not fatiguing on higher volumes (I can easily get fatigued from using certain headphones), they have a nice focus on mids and they apparently sound "heavier" (if I interpret that correctly it's going to fit my type of sound signature), also my old Sennheiser PC360 headphones have a sound signature that fits me almost perfectly (except that they're open-air so the bass is lacking), the PC360 however is slightly lacking on everything and gets distorted easily on higher volumes, but the balance of everything fits me really well, so despite the fact that my D600 produces more of everything and overall has a better sound quality, the PC360 is actually kinda my favorite because the balance of everything fits me really really well (except the lack of bass of course), but I haven't used them for several years since the D600 manages to play louder without distorting, they produce more than twice the amount of bass and has more of everything.
When I said the D600 is a bit lacking in bass I probably exaggerated, the D600 doesn't lack bass at all actually (compared to a speaker setup they definitively do, but compared to other headphones they don't), but it lacks certain parts of the bass to give me exactly what I want, but it would be almost impossible to find exactly what I'm looking for unless I was willing to put in some serious cash. From what I've read the Momentum definitively has less bass than the D600 and might have a bass signature that is further away from the D600 and what I'm looking, but since they're not going to be used at home it's not a problem, and from what I've read I'll easily enjoy the Momentum's bass signature because of it's control and warmth, I'm also sure that the music I have on my phone is going to go nicely with the Momentum.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #25 of 26
Got my Momentum today, and I'm pretty happy with my choice, I really love the airy sound, comfortable and warm bass, and it's nice and detailed, so I think I made the right choice. :)
The bass doesn't have a lot of kick like my D600, but it produces enough bass to satisfy my needs, at least after tweaking the eq a bit.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 26
Good to hear it! Now, enjoy the music
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back