PORTABLE HEADPHONES (Help me choose)
Jul 29, 2010 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

padcat

New Head-Fier
Yes. Another one of those threads. Please bear with me.

So I'm in the market for portable headphones. What I care about the most is sound quality; but isolation and comfort are necessities, see, I listen to music on the subway and bus, so phones with good sound but not-so-good isolation are not wanted. And they've got to be comfy enough to be worn for 2 hours straight.

Right know my budget is $100. Yes, it isn't much, but I plan on upgrading later.

Source is Cowon D2 (which I can EQ if I need to), unamped. I most frequently listen to IEM, classical, jazz and softer types of rock, though I do listen to faster stuff. Also, I think excessive bass is pig disgusting.

I was ABOUT TO get a pair of AKG K581DJ's, but since they seem to be bass happy... well...

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 8
The AKG K518DJs are really one of the best choices in terms of SQ and high isolation at that price point. The comfort is what is the problem. I auditioned them at the store, and I haven't even put them on for 2 minutes and my ears already hurt (I do have a big head though). I would have considered them too.

I use the JVC HA-S650 on the go, and they are really comfortable, balanced sound with no exaggeration in any frequency, and isolate but don't isolate as well as the AKGs (which is really good) or any IEM. They work fine on the subway, but also the subway here in Germany aren't too noisy (except the older model trains) as I experienced in other countries (i.e France), so idk. I use them mostly while walking the streets, so I'm not totally blocked off from the world incase a car comes to run me over but people talking and etc is all gone. Very soon I will try them on an airplane, and I'll report back.

There's also the Sennheiser PX200-II. At the store they were pretty comfy, and did block out a good amount of noise, and fold like sunglasses. Also has good sound quality, and one of the tightest bass (far from excessive) out there, so it might be for you. I also want to get this HP in the future.

Really if you want to block out everything, IEMs are where it's at.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes. Thanks for answering. About isolation, I'm quite aware of the superiority of IEM's in this respect. The thing is, at this price point, I'd rather have a nice sounding pair of headphones.

About JVCs, they do seem like quite a good option but they seem to lack a bit of clarity. Is this true?

And I'm VERY eager to try the PX200-II; to me, they don't seem to have any weak points, unless the discrete sound could make my more agressive tracks underwhelming.

Are there any more options?

Edit: By the way, I'll try to get my hands on a pair of K518DJs so I can try them on... perhaps the comfort issue won't be as bad, since my head doesn't seem too big.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 8
From where have u read that the JVC HA-S650 lacked clarity? On my pair, the clarity is definitely there.

Yeah, I'd like to get my hands on the PX200-II as well. Only thing I don't like is the inline volume control. I would find it more of a hindrance than a wonderful addition. Other than that, it looks great.

Yep, I read people with smaller heads have it good with the K518DJs, especially once the foam breaks in. Lucky u
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
From where have u read that the JVC HA-S650 lacked clarity? On my pair, the clarity is definitely there.

That's very good to hear. I've been reading about the S700, which seem just what I'm looking for... then there's the black series M750, which isolates less but sounds better... yet both of them seem to be bassy, 'aggresive' phones, so I'm not sure of what to think.

Quote:
How about a pair of Sony V6 (V7506) with Beyerdynamic Pads?

That sounds interesting. I'm assuming the pads are for better isolation, and I'm currently investigating about the V6, since I know next to nothing about them...

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 8
From what I've recently found out, the V6 seem glorious. It came to my attention though, what an old model it is. How would you say it fares against the PX200-II?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back