Portable Headphones for my laptop
May 31, 2004 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I just got a spiffy new laptop as a graduation present and need to do something about the aweful sound comming out of the stock altec lansing speakers. I have no intentions of using aftermarket USB/PCMCIA line out devices/amplification and am looking for a descent pair of portable headphones that will fit my need.

The headphones must be able to fold away securely into my protective lap top bag and sound descent for my multimedia applications (obviously). I've got good gear otherwise and just want something acceptable here.

I was thinking of just going with another pair of Koss Portapros (when my system was at one of its many peaks some time ago, I dumbly gifted my pair to a friend), but got to wondering whether it was worthwhile to look into eggos, or any of the lower line AT phones.

Isolation is not crucial (I'd probably prefer open cans), and they must be efficient enough to be driven ampless from my lap tops speaker out.

Recommend away, I hope to buy by the end of the week.

May 31, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 4
Wow!

In looking at all of your previous headphones (I re-read your bio) I think that the Grado's might be good. I liked the 80's because they were efficient and come with a 3.5mm plug (like your laptop). Also they will sit pretty flat if you want to take them to go. Too bad you don't have that arsenal anymore. Very impressive list you have been through!

Congratulations on graduating and best wishes in grad school, counselor!

May 31, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 4
For me the Sr-80 is too much for a laptop... I would get the Sennheiser pX-100 (good sound, very foldable) or the wonderful sounding (for the price) Koss PortaPro. They are also foldable, as you know, but I don't know if they can fit in the bag of the laptop.

Bye

Andrea

May 31, 2004 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Hmmm, foldable phones are few are far between.
SR8- is definitely too much to power from the laptop.

I can power the SR60 from my laptop easily though.
Since the ear piece thingamajig can swivel, putting it in a bag should be no problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back