Portable Headphones, Bose Tri-Ports?
Nov 26, 2002 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ezra2323

Head-Fier
I know I will get flamed for stating that the Bose Tri-Ports are my #1 headphone in consideration at the moment. I am open to, actually seeking, other suggestions.

Here is what I am looking for - and the headphones must meet all 4 criteria

1) rich bass
2) clear hi's
3) small
4) lightweight

The only phones I have found that meet all 4 are the Tri-Ports. I compared them to the Sony MDR/V600s (as suggested in this forum). The Sony's sounded as good or better for $50 less, but they are HUGE and weigh a LOT more! For an xtra $50, the smaller/lighter Bose is a better buy for me.

I will be using these primarily while traveling listening to my Apple Ipod. As I said, I have no love for Bose and would love other suggestions. But remember, they must be small (can be ear cup though) and light. I don't want to be walking around with giant cans on my head.

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 21
Well, someone's gotta tell you...

The Sony MDR-V600s are not too well thought of. It's the Sony MDR-V6s people like around here. V600s -- bad. V6s -- good.
smily_headphones1.gif

The V6s apparently can be had for about $80 now. (Used to be as low as $60).

I don't think too many people would choose the Triports over the V6s.
cool.gif

I have heard the Bose Triports. IMHO, they sound decent. However, you just might find something a little better for $150.
wink.gif

I'll leave that little detail to the rest of the crew.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 21
Where can you purchase the V6s at? (web or retail). Are they small and lightweight (can still be ear cup style, don't need to be ultra light - just not studio style monstrositys)??

As I said, I know the Bose are over-priced (actually I guess I did not clearly say this, well I am now). that's why I am asking for help on other alternatives that meet my 4 criteria.

Appreciate the response.

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 21
Click here: where to get MDR-V6s for $80

But don't end your search there... if you're willing to spend $150, start a leisurely journey and get yourself a damn nice pair of headphones. Do some head-fi searches, listen to some phones at some stores if you can, etc.

One warning though -- the Triports are extremely comfortable. I wouldn't really expect to top the Triports in the lightweight/comfort department.
smily_headphones1.gif

For starters, you might want to check out the Sennheiser HD497s at amazon.com, for maybe $50 or a little more. Also, Sennheiser has some snazzy small lightweight phones coming out in the very near future that might just meet all your criteria. You might want to wait a week or two or three, those might fulfill your every wish, for somewhere around $40-$80.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are some threads on them here, complete with pictures. I think Jude started the first thread. Do a search!!!

Edit: What the heck, click here:
new sennheiser phones thread

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 21
Yea, the Bose QuietComfort, Bose Triport, and Sony MDR-V600 are all looked down upon here for being some of the worst bang for the buck headphones on the planet...

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 21
And don't overlook the Sennheiser HD 2#2 series of headphones (HD 202, HD 212Pro). They're just about the only choices in sub-$50 closed headphones that don't suck (most other cheap closed headphones suck big-time), even though they may deliver a bit too much bass for some listening tastes.

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 21
ezra2323:

From what those in the know have said here, the new Sennheiser portables are very good. The PX 100 are open, the PX 200 are closed. Their retail price will be about one third of the Bose, and if they sound anything like the HD 497 mentioned above, they'll sound MUCH better than the TriPort.

Dec 5, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 21
evil_smiley.gif

I posted thsi before i think, a kinda warning NIOT to get the BOE tri-Port..
cause they sux0rd, if you did and you liked them they you apparently never heard really good crisp and (this is very important for me) cumfortable headphones.. yes the bose sound good but so do alot fo other ehadphines UNDER $100.. forget about paying $150 for em, ive returned then the next day...
yes i admit it i baught em.. bose has good speakers and i though they might have good headphone.s... oh how wrong i was...
I have been using a no name brand (denon -750) for a while and they sound as good and as crisp (not as much bass though) and they are a hell of a lot mroe cumfortable...
the Tri-Port are ultra-mega-super-giga-unconmfortable.....!!!

smily_headphones1.gif
but thats juts my opinion....

Dec 5, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Riddles
evil_smiley.gif

I posted thsi before i think, a kinda warning NIOT to get the BOE tri-Port..
cause they sux0rd, if you did and you liked them they you apparently never heard really good crisp and (this is very important for me) cumfortable headphones.. yes the bose sound good but so do alot fo other ehadphines UNDER $100.. forget about paying $150 for em, ive returned then the next day...
yes i admit it i baught em.. bose has good speakers and i though they might have good headphone.s... oh how wrong i was...
I have been using a no name brand (denon -750) for a while and they sound as good and as crisp (not as much bass though) and they are a hell of a lot mroe cumfortable...
the Tri-Port are ultra-mega-super-giga-unconmfortable.....!!!

smily_headphones1.gif
but thats juts my opinion....

Glad u said this is just ur opinion at the end...or I will have to do more serious talking here..
Well, one thing, bose doesn't make good speakers either! U really meant cute speakers right? hehe
biggrin.gif

And how in the world can someone say the Triport is uncomfortable? I mean...ur opinion differs MILES away from mine. I thought it's one of the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried..and it does sound decent and clear. But for $150..I rather have my 580
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 21
I would describe the bose sound as impressing at first but after about 1 minute you notice that the highs are very recessed and the mids somewhat also. I do have to admit that i liked the triports better than the 580s unamped (i know im gonna take a lot of **** for saying that) but i thought they were much more entertaining to listen to but they were NOT audiophile. but again i would greatly prefer the Grado SR-60 to both at less than half the price

Dec 5, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystic
Take a look at the Koss PortaPro. Much better sounding than the Bose. It's small and light-weight, and it folds. The new Senns coming out do look sweet though.

Id have to second on that, i listened to the Triport at bestbuy, i quickly put it backdown when i heard how the sound cant even compare to the ksc50 i had on.

Im even considering of getting a second pair of ksc50s. they are so so good at the moment, i much prefer them over my grado sr80, for portable use.

Anyone in San francisco, beside bestbuy's asking price of 19.99 where can i get the ksc50s for 14.99? i didnt see them the last time i went to circuit city (van ness st.)

So no, dont get the triport, get a grado instead or better (value).....KOSS.

Dec 5, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 21
I had a chance to try on the TriPorts at a loca store last weekend. I do agree with Luvya that they are one of the most (if not the most comfortable pair of headphones I have ever used. They are light yet have just enough mass. They are circumaural on me and have just the right amount of pressure to the sides of my head.

That however, is where this fairy tale ends kiddies. The sound that eminates from these cans is nothing better than I have heard out of cheapo stock cans with a PCDP. Now this was thru a PCDP player without an amp, but this is the intended use for this headphone. In fact, it was part of a whole Bose display along with other Bose stuff on a multi-tiered shelving unit. And the price? $149!!!!!! What!!!!!

Man, you can get a decent PCDP and a pair of Grado SR60's or Sony V6's for that amount and have a very respectable portable system. For even less you can get the Koss 60ohm cans, or the low end Sennheisers for even less and still have far better sound.

Just say "No" to Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back