Portable Headphone Amp Reccies Please!

1. Carrow
    Hi!

So uh, I bought a second hand FiiO E10K/Olympus 2 a couple of days ago. It's great and I quite like being able to beef up my laptop's audio using it - however what I had actually wanted was a portable headphone amp. Don't get me wrong, the O2 is plenty portable (it's super small!) but what that actually means in this context is that I'd like an amp I can use to give my DAP (currently a Shanling M3s) some extra juice!

What I'm looking for is ideally something a similar size to the M3s that I can stack with it. Gain switch and/or bass boost switch recommended. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to spend but let's just say I won't be able to afford a Chord Mojo any time soon. That's the kind of size that'd work well for me, but it's also something like $500. If I can get something for maybe 20% of that that would fit my needs. Maybe $125/€105 is my limit - any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks HF!

2. tansand
    Topping NX1s. No fuss no muss.

Carrow likes this.
  3. PurpleAngel Contributor
    FiiO A3 ($60) or FiiO A5 ($130)

Carrow likes this.
  4. yong_shun
    I second Fiio A5!

5. serman005
    I third the A5.

6. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I'll raise the stakes and say FiiO Q5. Yes I know it is more than an amp, but damn is the Bluetooth well implemented and Sooooo convenient. The Q5 is a seriously good piece of kit, perhaps the best FiiO effort in terms of totality for the product class it belongs in. Amplifier modules are changeable so big plus. Listening to it now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 10:51 PM
    yong_shun likes this.
  7. yong_shun
    I agreed with this. For me, it is very convenient especially I am moving around and commuting. Connect the DAC to your phone, put the DAC in your pocket or bag and enjoy the music :)