Portable Headphone Amp for ATH-W5000
Oct 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jimbobwey

New Head-Fier
I'm still somewhat new to the headphone audiophile scene as I've been making the switch over from home audio speakers and amps so bear with me
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm in the market for a pair of Audio Technica W5000's (wanting to buy if you have an unmodified pair, PM me) and I would like to find a good portable amp to pair it with. The only problem I have with looking for an amp myself is that I don't know if the amp can/or will damage the headphones if paired improperly. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Also, I know each amp and person will react differently to the sounds produced, but I just need guidance so I can hit the ground running and test a few out until I find the one I like.

Thanks,
Jimbobwey

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 6
hmm have you actually heard them before? IMO they are pretty dull and meh, at the best of times, let alone with a background of traffic. there are a few options for portables that will drive them well, me, I would want something with a bit of character and warmth about it to offset the cold grey nothingness of the W5000. what is your mode of portability? they would make silly portable headphones for walking around, but if you are wanting a transportable amp to use at work or on the plane etc, then I would look at the MST FiQuest, Lisa III, protector, stepdance, ibasso Toucan (bare in mind I havent heard the last 2) what will your portable source be? do you have a hime rig you will be using them with also?

actually just double checked, they are only 40 ohms, any decent portable will drive them, hell a high powered DAP will drive them; but you will have to use a 1/4"-mini adapter with all but the lisa, there will be a lisa III mini shortly too. so you might want to reterminate them 

I dont know what you mean by damaging the headphones with a portable amp, that is exceedingly unlikely, you would have to buy something faulty

I know the above is awefully opinionated, but I do feel quite strongly about it, I have heard them a few times and wanted to like them, because just like all audio technicas they are sexy as hell, but I just found that they didnt allow me to connect with the music at all, technically sound, but devoid of character and lacking substance

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 6
pretty much qusp covered it all. 
I don't personally have any experience with W5000 but from what I have read (at one time interested in them) they are one of those picky headphones when it comes to amps, and most recommended a nice desktop amp for them to sound nice, even though they are only 40ohms. 
from what i have read, those who do like them tend to enjoy them with classical music for their tonality and detail, and others not so much as they lack warmth and lower end. 

Oct 24, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 6
yeah I tried with both high end solid state and tube amps, with tubes it helped a bit, but still lacking body. for classical maybe, but you would still be missing the bottom octave, even when properly amped it just wasnt there with any authority. it was present, but had no presence if you know what I mean) I like things just a smidge warm of neutral, what I would call natural, but I can appreciate neutrality if its done well, I think its a mistake to call analytical neutral, because its coloured in the other direction. the fiquest would drive them about as well as is needed, it has some serious gusto that many home amps dont have.

Oct 24, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 6
The W5000 must be one of the worst possible choices for portable audio, and even transportable audio. They don't sit very tight on the head, so can easily fall of if you move around. If you are going to use them at home only, I would recommend that you also look at home amps instead of only portable amps. I thoght that they were VERY sensitive to placement on the head, and if you move/shift around you will easily lose the sweetspot and have to adjust them again and again.

If you wan't a headphone to take with you from room to room there must be much better choices.

Also, they don't isolate very much, so using them as closed heaphones on planes vill not work out great either.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 6
All of this info is great guys, I'd be using the headphones only in the house so maybe portable isn't the way to go. As of right now I have a Little Dot II ++ amp and a pair of ATH-M50's, but I had those as an experimental pair up before I ever got serious about this. Also my portable source is an iPod photo 20G. I'll do some research about the amps qusp talked about to see if I can find what I want, or I'll continue to browse the desktop amps. Thanks again!

Jimbobwey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back