Portable H.P choice
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Masquerade1

New Head-Fier
I am interested in purchasing some portable H.P for use when running around town.

Narrowed them down to these 4

Senn PX 200II
AKG K430
Beyerdynamic DTX300P
Audio Technica ES7

From what I read on head-fi the K430s seem to have a durability issue with paint flacking off etc. My music genres
are pretty diverse and i listen from light rock to jazz. I intend to use this H.P without a portable amp so that has to be taken
into consideration.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #4 of 8
Owned all of those except for the Beyer.

In simplest terms:

If you want laid back and non fatiguing sound > px200-II
If you want a more engaging sound > k430

ES7 are not recommended. If you want a jack-of-all-trades audiotechnica, the cheaper sj-55 or sq-505 sound better to my ears for rock/jazz.

I like the overall balance of the the k430s, but the senns are more detailed with better imaging. Also the Senns have better build quality and a beefier cable. Also, the K430 feel a bit overbuilt in the thick plastic department versus the px200-II

You can't go wrong with the px-200-II but if you need more nosie isolation, the audio technicas with their larger ear cup size do a better job of blocking out ambient noise then mini headphones like the px-2000 and K430. The same can be said for the bass oriented AKG-k518/81dj, but it suffers with the same headache inducing clamping force of the ES7.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Some In ear monitors? 

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 8

Thanks. At this stage I think i am more inclined to the K430. What are the main differences between the K430 and the K450?
Quote:
Owned all of those except for the Beyer.

In simplest terms:

If you want laid back and non fatiguing sound > px200-II
If you want a more engaging sound > k430

ES7 are not recommended. If you want a jack-of-all-trades audiotechnica, the cheaper sj-55 or sq-505 sound better to my ears for rock/jazz.

I like the overall balance of the the k430s, but the senns are more detailed with better imaging. Also the Senns have better build quality and a beefier cable. Also, the K430 feel a bit overbuilt in the thick plastic department versus the px200-II

You can't go wrong with the px-200-II but if you need more nosie isolation, the audio technicas with their larger ear cup size do a better job of blocking out ambient noise then mini headphones like the px-2000 and K430. The same can be said for the bass oriented AKG-k518/81dj, but it suffers with the same headache inducing clamping force of the ES7.

Quote:
Some In ear monitors? 

Tried them and they hurt my ears. So that's out.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Haven't heard the k450, but besides better build quality (headband, travel case, housing) and  a detachable cable, I've read the 450 have a different signature, but there isn't too much info on them.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Also if you're in the U.S., Electronics Expo has the k450 for $85

Electronics Expo has the AKG K450 Premium Foldable Headphones for $170 - $95 off with coupon code BIGBEN + $7 shipping = $82 shipped. Features closed-back, 3D-Axis folding design with 11 Hz to 30 kHz frequency range. [Amazon Reviews : Compare]

The k430 are $40 on amazon through musicians friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back