portable good headphone under $65
Feb 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

staminaminamina

New Head-Fier
Does anyone in this forum know a decent portable on-ear headphone for me for less than $65 and with a replaceable cable? I listen to a lot types of music so it has to be an allrounder. I also want it to be a bit stylish.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 17
Forget about replaceable cables. The replaceable cables are usually proprietary,  expensive, and sometimes hard to find.Would you want to pay $30 or more for a replacement cable for a headphone that has a list price of $140 but that you paid $40 for?  A much better idea is to pay less for the headphone, and replace the whole thing if the cable breaks. Look at the JVC HAS650 for $34 on Amazon, or the AKG K430 for $40 on Amazon.

I could see wanting a replaceable cable on a $200+ headphone, however it really isn't an advantage on a headphone under $65.
Very few headphones under $100 have a replaceable cable.

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Forget about replaceable cables. The replaceable cables are usually proprietary,  expensive, and sometimes hard to find.Would you want to pay $30 or more for a replacement cable for a headphone that has a list price of $140 but that you paid $40 for?  A much better idea is to pay less for the headphone, and replace the whole thing if the cable breaks. Look at the JVC HAS650 for $34 on Amazon, or the AKG K430 for $40 on Amazon.

I could see wanting a replaceable cable on a $200+ headphone, however it really isn't an advantage on a headphone under $65.
Very few headphones under $100 have a replaceable cable.

Thanks for the advice, I really want a very durable, portable on-ear headphone because I'm just a poor 15 year old and I can't afford it to buy a new pair of headphones every 6 months. But I also want it to have a good sound.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 17
What do you guys think about the akg k518 dj and the sennheiser px100 ii and the px 200 ii?? Which one has the best sound and is very durable according to you? I heard the akg 518 dj has a lot of bass... Maybe to much?

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
What do you guys think about the akg k518 dj and the sennheiser px100 ii and the px 200 ii?? Which one has the best sound and is very durable according to you? I heard the akg 518 dj has a lot of bass... Maybe to much?

I believe the K518 is the best out of all of these you listed. Yeah, there's a lot of bass, but it's there in a pretty nice amount, I wouldn't call it too much. Also it's almost not shadowing the other frequnecies. The k518 is very durable, I have it 2 years and it's still like new.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I really want a very durable, portable on-ear headphone because I'm just a poor 15 year old and I can't afford it to buy a new pair of headphones every 6 months. But I also want it to have a good sound.

If you take good care of your headphones, they will last a long time. My Sony V6 is 23 years old and still works fine. i just needed to replace the earpads. i have been using decent quality headphones and earphones for around 24 years. i did break a few earphones over the years, however it was usually the result of dropping them too many times. lately I have been more careful with them, and can't remember the last time I broke one.

The Sennheiser PX100II is good. I have the original PX100 and like it very much. The PX200II is similar but is closed and has less bass, and is more expensive. Since the PX100II is $45 and the PX200II is $70, the PX100II looks like the better choice, unless you must have some isolation. Imo if do want isolation though, the JVC HAS650 for $34 is a much better deal than the PX200II. It is also similar in size. Some people think the K518 Dj is not so well built and uncomfortable. In general, the sound quality is liked. The AKG K430 seems like a better deal at $40 than the K518dj. The Koss pro DJ100 has reveived great reviews. It is around $80, but seems well built. Perhaps you could try to see if you can find it at a discount somewhere.

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Uhm I think you meant the akg k430. I am not searching for in-ears
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 17
Yes, I meant the K430.

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 17
The Shure SRH440 is the cheapest headphone I have seen with a replaceable cable. It is around $74. on Amazon. The replacement cable is only around $15. It is circumaural though(around the ears).

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #15 of 17

there are multiple options cheaper for a detachable cable. the $20 monoprice headphones that people keep raving about on this site. some of the superflux are a little bit cheaper than the Shure's have a detachable cable. i think that philips also has some cheaper headphones that have a detachable cable but it is a different style with a partial cable running from the headphone and then the ability to plug a different cable into that instead of a single cable straight into the headphone.
Quote:
The Shure SRH440 is the cheapest headphone I have seen with a replaceable cable. It is around $74. on Amazon. The replacement cable is only around $15. It is circumaural though(around the ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back