I'm looking for a replacement set of headphones for my 6 years old 50$ Sony's.
I have started reading through the models compare shootout from the forums. Not done yet, but getting a lot of infos from there. Still curious to get some direct opinions.
But here's the catch : I have a lot of expectation/restrictions.
- I'll use those headphones mainly in the bus and subway : lots of ambiant noises and a lot of people standing around me with whom I do not wish to share my music...
- I listen to rock / metal music. Bass is not my only priority
- I hate "in-ear".
- I'm done with "Noise cancelling".
- I have a HUGE head. Like.... HUUUUGE... I mean, no helms/caps ever fit my head and my logitech gaming headset barelly reaches my ears...
- I listen to music on my Android phone, using PowerAmp app (comes with some sets of equalizers)
- I expect to pay 70 to 100$ (Canadian $)..... or so.....
- I'd prefer "not-too-huge" designs.
Up to now, here are some models I've considered :
- Sennheiser hd 335s --> Seems perfect, a little bit over my budget, but not too much. But afraid of the comments of people saying it's too tight on the head (my big head...)
- Sony Xtra Bass models --> (actually triied them in a Sony Store). Super-comfortable. The extra bass effect isn't what I'm looking for though.
- Sennheiser hd 218 --> Very nice...except... I've read on forums that the head band is super-cheap and breaks easilly.
- Sony mdr-v55 --> Overall.... a winner at this point. I think
If you are willing to stretch the extra $10 look into the Audio Technica ATH-M40x's. They are currently on pre-order and will be released on the 18th. I'm sure they would fulfill your expectations. Including your head .