Portable electrostatic amp?!?
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

electrathecat

500+ Head-Fier
This is admittedly a silly question and I'm pretty sure the answer is obviously no, but has there ever been a portable (i.e., battery-powered) electrostatic amp?
confused.gif
Seems unlikely, but you never know the ingenuity of headfiers!

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 22
Stax SR-001mkII is the only portable electrostatic system. If you want that sound on the go, its your game, quite cheap too, and rather small.

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 22
If someone in Colorado (hint hint) would actually send me
the transformer they have promised me for 5 months now, there
would be a DIY electrostatic portable.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 22
Stax SRM-X Pro actually used to have a battery pack as an option, so there was actually a commercial battery-powered electrostatic amp at one time. Play time was only about 2.5 hours, apparently. However, I've got the amp, which does have a 12v input, so a DIY battery pack should do the trick, and probably play longer to boot.

Incidentally, this amp is a bit smaller than HEV70, but makes a much better combination with HE60 than its own HEV70 amp. I suspect that the higher bias voltage of the Stax amps may help what I hear as a synergy between Stax amps (007t and SRM-X Pro both) with HE60. I'm listening to the combo as I type.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Damn! That some lousy customer support.
Sure hope you receive the transformer soon, so you can finish the construction part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 22
Feb 13, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 22
You are both right. The SRD-P had an internal battery compartment, a TRS plug for input and a normal plug. Later came a version with both outputs and there was even a version made specially for the Church of Scientology. A few of them were on ebay a year or so ago. The SRM-X was designed for remote monitoring and thus the separate battery back.

Please not that the Simply Stax site is far from a great resource and is more often wrong then right.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

If you ask Alex (AK[Zip]) he might build you a transformer in exchange for your design schematics.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Why do you use the Stax SRM-X Pro over another
ES amp like the Stax SRM-007t? Is it just easier to lug around to the office, etc.? I just got an HE60, and I gotta say the HEV70 is pretty disappointing -- I'll likely be looking for some kind of upgrade soon.

By the way, I'm from Rockville too. I grew up there, and attended the same high school (Woodward HS) as the diaper-wearing, "Houston we have a problem", astro-nut stalker chick. Don't remember her, but her sister was cute.

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by electrathecat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got an HE60, and I gotta say the HEV70 is pretty disappointing -- I'll likely be looking for some kind of upgrade soon.

Wise words indeed.

For a bit of fun, try running an Omega II off that sucker. The result is laughable.

Feb 14, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by electrathecat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you use the Stax SRM-X Pro over another
ES amp like the Stax SRM-007t? Is it just easier to lug around to the office, etc.? I just got an HE60, and I gotta say the HEV70 is pretty disappointing -- I'll likely be looking for some kind of upgrade soon.

By the way, I'm from Rockville too. I grew up there, and attended the same high school (Woodward HS) as the diaper-wearing, "Houston we have a problem", astro-nut stalker chick. Don't remember her, but her sister was cute.

I don't like to leave gear in my office. At home, I use a Singlepower ES1 and a Stax 007t. They're a lot less portable, though
tongue.gif
The SRM-X Pro really benefits from having a bigger, stiffer power supply on it than the standard wallwart.

I went to Walter Johnson HS a few years earlier. Woodward is just a little ways up Old Georgetown Rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back