Portable dvd player suggestions
Nov 23, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

g_hause

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I don't really want a portable dvd player. I want a screen I can use from my preamp that lets me use its network player without turning on my projector. These things are way cheaper than a little screen, so here I am. And if I am lucky I can get a decent little transport out of it that is quieter than my PS3.

Are there any portable players that can pass SACD out digitally? I would like it to have an hdmi input, but I realize that that might be a stretch.

I like the Toshiba sd-p91s, but SACD would be really nice.

tia

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 11
There isn't even any portable DVD player that will play SACD, let alone one that does so via digital output.

At the time of introduction of the SACD format, Sony once presented a mock-up of a portable (audio-only) player but that has never materialized and I don't expect it will still.

You better stick to your PS3. If you've got a 20 or 60GB model you could get a little less noise by switching to the 2007 80GB model. Make sure to avoid the 2008 80GB model, that does not play SACD.

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Ok, if I drop the SACD angle. do any of these players have better transports than others?

If I can get a decent transport out of the deal I will spring for one. The PS3 is jsut too loud. Otherwise I'll just get the cheapest player I can find that has video in, and maybe snag an Oppo later on.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 11
A couple years ago I needed a new PDVDP and found the Philips to have the best PQ. Mine is a PET-1002. It isn't very quiet with the screen open while it loads a disc but noise is low when closed. With video in and digital out/analog line out.

I don't know if the Philips are still king of PQ though but mine looks great.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 11
They (Philips) seem to make one with an ipod dock. I am having a hard time deciding if this is positive or gimicky.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 11
I read a review for one of those Philips models( DCP851 ) and the screen was said to be washed-out and a too dark picture from the iPod...not very good resolution.

The PET1030 is the one to get @ around $215 ~ $240.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 11
That looks nice, but personally I am looking for a decent digital output. That is what had me interested in the Toshiba sd-p91s

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by g_hause /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks nice, but personally I am looking for a decent digital output. That is what had me interested in the Toshiba sd-p91s

Did you read that the Toshiba has better digital output than the Philips?

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 11
I missed the digital out in the Philips's specs. I was looking at the smaller model. The 10" screen is more than I need.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Right, I'm really only using the screen so I don't have to turn on my projector to use my preamp's network player capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back