portable dac
Dec 8, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 44
Thanks Anouk ... Keep in mind the Ultra Micros are true 'Class-A' biased devices meaning they have a bit too much current draw for effective portable operation from batteries!

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Years ago did the portable cosmic have a battery pack?

The old Cosmic Amp did indeed have a 4 D-cell battery brick but was not Class-A biased.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So a high power Lithium would not work?

Regrettably, no.
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I suppose 2x9v would not work either? Sorry for my ignorance...
Greetings, Anouk,

Nope -- Sorry Anouk ! ;(

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/ Product Manager

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jorge,

How much current does the Ultra Micro DAC draw?

Thanks,

__Roy

HI ROY,

The Ultra Micro DAC draws 140mA from the V+ supply and 20mA from the V- supply.

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 44
Okie dokie, Jeorge is just doing his job here and not providing a bunch of things to whine over, but .....

Sure, we could build a portable DAC ... as soon as there's a significant enough demand for one.

Anyone want to point out a portable cd player or portable file player that has a digital or USB out?

Other than a laptop.

And, for the most part, if you are using a laptop you will be just fine with our Micro or Desktop Portable with their built-in DAC.

Ooooohh! So you want to use it with an RSA or Headamp product. Just use their portable DACs.

ImaPoser.gif

Sorry. Can you tell I'm having a bad day.

Seriously, I just reckon there are bigger fish to fry and I'm not going to be able to address that one other than the way we already have built into our amps.

After all, that is the best way---to have it built into the amp to save space. Bug Ray, Justin, and Dr.Xin to build one into their amps.

(Tried to rewrite this without sounding like a beotch, but I couldn't. Again, sorry, bad day. )

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 44
I agree with Tyll (not trying to sound like a suckup, though...) in that logically, if you're using a laptop you may as well just A) carry the power supply and UM DAC with you and plug it into a nearby wall or B) use the Total Bithead, which runs on USB power and provides a pretty damn good sound (for the price) even used with a standalone amp and save the UM DAC for home use.

I do B.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 44
I've been experimenting with battery and wall-supplied alternatives to power my DACs. I'm about to build a Sigma-22 @ +/-15V to see if it improves my Ultra Micro DAC's sound, compared to the Astrodyne. I've also been learning about LiPO and other new portable power supplies to power a DAC, driven from the optical out of the used iRiver H120 I bought for just this purpose.

Thus my question about the power my Ultra Micro DAC draws.

I'm not asking you to build something for a niche -- but I do appreciate your making info available so those of who enjoy exploring DIY solutions can experiment.

Thanks, Jorge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back