Portable DAC and Linux
Nov 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ezzieyguywuf

100+ Head-Fier
I've done some searching in here and not found much. I plan on buying a portable amp/dac next february (I know, kind of a long way off but I like to start planning these sorts of purchases early
happy_face1.gif
) . I'm looking at mainly either the RSA Predator or the iBasso D2 depending on what my financial situation is. I run ubuntu on my thinkpad t60p and don't want to have to install a dual-boot windows just to use my shiny new DAC, so can any confirm whether or not these amp/dacs work well in linux/ubuntu?

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 9
I have an iBasso D2(Viper), an Asus EEE 1000 and Ubuntu 8.10. Works well, except I'm having some issues with USB connections staying intact, whenever I move it around too much the connection breaks up. This might not have anything to do with your Thinkpad, though. Software-wise, it seems everything is in working order.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Same here as ZarakiSan, the DAC in the D2 works perfectly in Linux (and I've heard all other portable amps use generic DACs supported as a standard in snd_audio_usb/ALSA), but the actual cable link is loose amp-side. With mocp music player this causes crash + 100% CPU + kill process and rm pid file. Sloppy..

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 9
so it seems the issues that you guys are having are hardware-related? Does the D2 inherently have a shiyty cable-link or have you guys been rough wit yours or what? Also, brandnewgame what seems to be causes the 100% cpu etc... I didn't exactly understand what you were getting at in that sentence.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 9
I find I have less problems with my D2 Boa when I use the included USB cable, vs. standard A to mini-B cables. Maybe the included cable does some weird stuff with the power pins which makes it more reliable?

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 9
wow, thanks so much for the response guys! i am so much less worried now. Anyone using the Predator in Ubuntu (or any linux distro?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back