Portable dac amp for my Iphone 6s?
Nov 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

seanc6441

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi I'm looking for a potable dac amp for my iphone 6s. The smaller the better, preferably USB dongle size.

Is the Audioquest Dragonfly Black a good option? I've ha#erd mixed opinions on it and I don't know how much better it would be that the phone itself (sound quality wise).

I'm powering earbuds here most with 16-32ohm and medium-high sensitivty so I don't need much power in a sense, just something that will fill out he sound a bit more and give slightly more juice to my best earbuds (Rose Masya, Shozy BK) which can sound ok but not optimal I feel from my phone. Especially the masya which sounds thin on vocals from my phone but better from my laptop.

I'm willing to spend up to around $150 but would prefer to spend less if possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey there. Ive never used it on ios but i used to have a dragonfly black and i loved it (then lost it like a tit). 2 points to note:
1) it chews battery; and
2) it doesnt have an external volume control so you have to use the one on your phone.
Similar sort of price point is the cyrus soundkey which what hifi really liked. I havent listened to it though.
Df black was fine for all of my iems.

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 8
@Grimbles Thanks! Would you consider the DFB better SQ than your mobile source? If you use it on a phone?

I’m more considering it to improve the fullness and overall quality of sound rather than the power of the amp.

Oh and I heard the 1.5 black was really efficient? what version do you have? Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Country miles better mate. V. Samsung s6 edge +, s8 and note 8 it is a marked improvement. The veil is lifted, music is clearer, open... wide.

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Country miles better mate. V. Samsung s6 edge +, s8 and note 8 it is a marked improvement. The veil is lifted, music is clearer, open... wide.
Thanks. That’s helpful! Much appreciated mate!

Now if only someone with an iphone 6s could comment I’d have piece of mind hehe

After all these little things aren’t exactly cheap... Especially if I get tempted by the DFR which is supposed to be smoother...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back