Portable DAC/AMP for IEMs
Mar 10, 2015 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bavinck

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
I currently have a note 3 with a dragonfly 1.2 for my iems. The setup works good and sounds great. However, I would love to get a portable DAC/Amp that has a volume pot on it (to avoid the android volume stupidness) that is neutral or slightly warmish and sounds as good or better than the dragonfly 1.2. Any big names come to mind that iem lovers have had good luck with? I would be willing to spend up to about $300 if the right gear came along.
Thanks so much.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 10
#Bavnick
Hey! 
I just got my Dragonfly v1.2 and it works on the computer but when I try to connect it via OTG Cable to my Samsung Galaxy 3S (android 4.3) or my other Galaxy 5S (android 5), the it doesn’t connect (little dragonfly (Color LED) doesn’t light up). Nothing happens when I connect them (just black on both Phone and Stick).
Should it be recognized by the Phone? (A blip or something?)
- I have tried Several Players (Onkyo, Poweramp, jetAudio and the native player) but the phone just plays from the phones speaker.

What could I be missing? 
Is there any settings that must be switched on in order for it to work (something I might accidetly have switched off)
Could the cable be broken?

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 10
  #Bavnick
Hey! 
I just got my Dragonfly v1.2 and it works on the computer but when I try to connect it via OTG Cable to my Samsung Galaxy 3S (android 4.3) or my other Galaxy 5S (android 5), the it doesn’t connect (little dragonfly (Color LED) doesn’t light up). Nothing happens when I connect them (just black on both Phone and Stick).
Should it be recognized by the Phone? (A blip or something?)
- I have tried Several Players (Onkyo, Poweramp, jetAudio and the native player) but the phone just plays from the phones speaker.

What could I be missing? 
Is there any settings that must be switched on in order for it to work (something I might accidetly have switched off)
Could the cable be broken?

Not all android OS suppost OTG audio. My note 3 does, but I am not sure what version that is. Try USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP), that should work just fine for any dac OTG on any phone.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 10
JDS Labs C5D has worked well for me (except for IM02, did not like that pairing), maybe not 'warm' per se. Have not heard Dragonfly.

Don't have, not sure of android support, but if you like the Dragonfly form factor, Apogee Groove looks similar and has volume buttons (also, someone posted a sale on the Deals thread a day or two ago) nevermind, apparently Android not supported.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Thnx for your answer! 
I will check this out to see if it works.
Just one question:
- When you connect your DAC to your Note, does the tablet respond by giving away some notification 
lika a "blip" or if it says like "USB device connected" or something?

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Humm... Not even my Galaxy Tab S (Android 5.0.2) will find it.
Or my friends HTC One M7 (Android 5.0.2). 
Not even after reboot of the devices :/
Smells like it's the OTG adapter that is crockid :) 

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 10
The "USB Audio Player Pro" app (UAPP - available Trial in description on Google Play Store)
like #Bavinck said, can override the Androids internal soundcard to focus the music data through the Micro USB output.
The app will tell you if it finds the DAC (in my case Dragonfly v 1.2). - But it doesn't! :frowning2:

Here is the UAPPs webbpage. Some helpfull info about connecting DAC to Android Device (and more) can be read here!
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

1. You must have android 3.1 or higher
2. You need a good "Micro USB to USB female" adapter cord (not plug)
3. That the device has USB host support and support for isochronous USB transfers in the kernel.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-player-pro

It seems it's the cable for me that is not working (will buy a new one tomorrow)...

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 10
  Humm... Not even my Galaxy Tab S (Android 5.0.2) will find it.
Or my friends HTC One M7 (Android 5.0.2). 
Not even after reboot of the devices :/
Smells like it's the OTG adapter that is crockid :) 

I was wondering about you OTG. I have used these with no problem on my Note 3 and Galaxy 12.2:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00J552ZA4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B4GGW5Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 10
YES! - To Connect your DAC to your Mobile Phone or Tablet (android).
(Sorry I have not chacked iPhones mm.)

1. The USB Cable MUST be OTG (specified on the product specs)
When connecting the DAC (Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 to the Phone or Tablet)
the device will say "USB Device Connected" or something. (And the dragonfly lights up)

If the cable is NOT OTG (Nothing will happen!)

2. BUT that is not all... you need a USB Audio player on you Android device to play music.
The UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) is the only player that will bypass the devices internal sound card 
and use the DAC properly. It costs about $ 6 but it is a great music player (often better then the native/ original player)
Playing music on any other player will just Jitter, Glitch and Bug continually.

3. Youmust also have an Android Device with OS (Operating system) updated over Android 3.1!

4. More over The Volume will be decreased and the DAC will suck more battery. 
If you never listen to max volume on your phone this is no problem. 
But for a Dubstep person like me... Samsung S3 has to weak amplifier to drive the DAC fully.
S5 and all Samsung devises after that is ok. HTC is also god.

1. OTG cable ($1 / 100 kr)
2. USB Audio Player Pro ($6 / 60 kr)
3. A Android Device with OS (Operating system) updated over Android 3.1
4. If the DAC is to powerconsuming this will not work at all! 

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back