Portable DAC/Amp for HD650 & HE4XX
May 8, 2018 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Bhargu

Head-Fier
Hi, I have a HD650 and I just joined the drop for HE4XX. I mostly use my HD650 with my O2. I am not really sure whether O2 is driving 650s to its true potential.

Recently I have been travelling a lot and been staying in hotels a lot. So carrying around O2, even though it is light, with it's additional power supply has become a bit of an issue. So, I started looking at battery powered DAC/Amps that can be charged from USB. iDSD Nano BL interested me first. Then I read some about XDuoo XD-05 and Topping NX4 DSD. The single USB of Nano and the integrated IEMatch sounded intriguing, the latter as I also use IEMs during travels.

My question is, can any of these or any other portable device drive both 650 and 4XX to satisfactory levels. I'm not saying listenable volumes, but proper resolving of details and true or near-true bass and treble potentials. iDSD Micro BL seems to one of the rare devices that could generate output power equivalent to that of good desktop amps, but I don't know if I am ready to spend that much at this point.

Note: XDuoo XD-05 advertises 500mW at 32 ohms, while Nano and NX4 outputs around 290 mW. NX4 also boasts 114 mW at 300 ohms, something the other two can't seem to do (50 mw, I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back