Portable complement to ATH-M50 (similar to HFI-580)
Oct 19, 2012 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

quattro179

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Alright, so here is my first post. I researched for a while and narrowed my first circumaural headphones down to the ATH-M50 and the HFI-580. I purchased both as the price was very low for each (109 and 119 w/ free shipping). I think I will be keeping the M50's. They are so much more comfortable than the 580's, and are more secure on my head. They feel lighter, and are a little less bulky. I also think they have more clarity and detail. I will be using these for long periods of time at work and while studying, so comfort is a big deal. I will also be listening to a wider variety of music than my usual hip hop and electronic because I like to listen to laid back, calming songs I am trying to focus. The sound of the 580's also seemed a little fatiguing after a long time...[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]That being said, I do love the 580's. They are a lot more fun in my opinion, and sound better for hip hop and electronic music. Every time I put them on I just wanted to turn them up and stop studying. I like the V-shaped sound with more bass that is tight and controlled. It also seems like they had more extension on the low end. (This is all just my perception with noob ears…) So that raises my question, is there a set of portable headphones similar to the 580 that would complement the M50 well. My criteria would be:[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]·[size=7pt]         [/size][/size][size=10pt]Under $200[/size]
[size=10pt]·[size=7pt]         [/size][/size][size=10pt]Portable (most likely supra-aural)[/size]
[size=10pt]·[size=7pt]         [/size][/size][size=10pt]Works well w/o amp[/size]
[size=10pt]·[size=7pt]         [/size][/size][size=10pt]Good for hip-hop and electronic[/size]
[size=10pt]·[size=7pt]         [/size][/size][size=10pt]Lots of controlled bass with good depth[/size]
[size=10pt]·[size=7pt]         [/size][/size][size=10pt]Highs that almost make you cringe (in a good way if you know what I mean)[/size]
[size=10pt]·[size=7pt]         [/size][/size][size=10pt]I like the idea of ear cups that rotate both ways and a removable cord but not a must[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I was thinking the HD25-1 ii or the crossfade M-80’s. Any thoughts?[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Thanks in advance![/size]

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 3
i cant really answer your question but i am kinda in the same boat. wanna go a bit further for a pair of IEMs for dance music.
have you listened to pioneer hdj 1000(that i have)? if so, how does it compare to [size=10pt]ATH-M50 and the HFI-580? [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back