Portable Comparison: Koss Porta Pro vs Sennheiser PX 100-II
Jan 31, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 36
i'm using pp with sony walkman - outstanding soft bass. especially after EQ adjustments.

Just bought sony ma900 and after listening and comparing them in couple hours ..... sending sony back to seller.
Also I have sennheiser 598. Sennheiser 58 bass sucks. I wish I would have headphones with highs and midles of HD 598 and sof PP bass. That would be perfect !

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 36
If you are ever in the market for a closed headphone, check out the HD439. I think you would like it.

Quote:
  i'm using pp with sony walkman - outstanding soft bass. especially after EQ adjustments.

Just bought sony ma900 and after listening and comparing them in couple hours ..... sending sony back to seller.
Also I have sennheiser 598. Sennheiser 58 bass sucks. I wish I would have headphones with highs and midles of HD 598 and sof PP bass. That would be perfect !

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 36

What didn't you like about the MA900?

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 36
Sony MA900 sounds like headphones for $20 but costs $200
bass:6/01
middle: 6/10
highs: 7/10
soundstage: 3/10

Koss porta pro:
bass: 9/10
middle: 6/10
highs: 5/10
soundstage: 4/10

Sennheiser hd 598:
bass: 6/10
middle:9/10
highs: 9/10
soundstage:9/10

52edaf85cc322.jpg

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #21 of 36
I haven't heard one in quite some time. Aren't we just talking about an HD 600?

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #22 of 36
  Yeah, the aethstetic of the Porta Pro are a huge draw for me. I didn't really touch on that in the review, but the Koss is definitely the more attractive of the two.

I couldn't agree less on that point. The PX100ii looks so damn cool to me, I really dig it's aesthetic design and tasteful finishings. The Koss looks way out of date and cheap as hell next to it for me.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #23 of 36
  I couldn't agree less on that point. The PX100ii looks so damn cool to me, I really dig it's aesthetic design and tasteful finishings. The Koss looks way out of date and cheap as hell next to it for me.

I'm a fan of polarizing things. Take the standard AD700. Bronze with some purplish pink mesh. It's so ugly, it's awesome. Same way I feel about the Porta Pro.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #25 of 36
Going to throw an update in here soon, but I'm basically finding that my impressions listed in the original post are continuing to be true. I still pull out the PX 100-II more than the PP at this point.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 36
Alright so I've had some time with both, and I have to say I find myself preferring the portapro. The PX is warmer to my ears, and while its presentation is more spacious and natural, I find the KPP more realistic sounding in terms of timber. Its also faster, which I like, and even though the PX seems to extend further on both ends, the KPP is more balanced and not as thick-sounding, with slightly more emphasis on treble out of the box. The bass emphasis on the PX seems more pronounced, and it sounds slightly veiled in the upper mids compared to the Koss.

TL;DR The KPP is essentially a Grado-ish PX; the PX is a Senn-ish KPP.

As a side note, I prefer the build and overall design of the PX, they look classier and are clearly sturdier and better engineered, and the single sided cable is much better, but I do like that I can wear the KPPs while biking because they have that ultra thin metal headband which fits inside my helmet, and they don't isolate like my IEMs, so I feel safe wearing them while biking on roads. The mic on the KPP is also better quality (KTC model) according to friends I've spoken to on both headsets. I can even talk while riding with the Koss.

If I could only keep one, it would be the KPP because I prefer the sound and like wearing them while biking.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #28 of 36
Alright so I've had some time with both, and I have to say I find myself preferring the portapro. The PX is warmer to my ears, and while its presentation is more spacious and natural, I find the KPP more realistic sounding in terms of timber. Its also faster, which I like, and even though the PX seems to extend further on both ends, the KPP is more balanced and not as thick-sounding, with slightly more emphasis on treble out of the box. The bass emphasis on the PX seems more pronounced, and it sounds slightly veiled in the upper mids compared to the Koss.

TL;DR The KPP is essentially a Grado-ish PX; the PX is a Senn-ish KPP.

As a side note, I prefer the build and overall design of the PX, they look classier and are clearly sturdier and better engineered, and the single sided cable is much better, but I do like that I can wear the KPPs while biking because they have that ultra thin metal headband which fits inside my helmet, and they don't isolate like my IEMs, so I feel safe wearing them while biking on roads. The mic on the KPP is also better quality (KTC model) according to friends I've spoken to on both headsets. I can even talk while riding with the Koss.

If I could only keep one, it would be the KPP because I prefer the sound and like wearing them while biking.

Yeah, I very much agree with your perspective on the sound of these two. I use the PX all the time, but really wish it sounded more like the PP.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #30 of 36
Which one of these cans do you guys think have less clamping pressure on ears? Assuming the Porta Pro is set to the lightest setting?

I'm returning my PX100-II because the clamping pressure is hurting my ears.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back