Portable CD with more power?
Apr 17, 2004 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
My old portable CD player Panasonic SL-SX410 has more power output than my new Panasonic SL-CT590 has. The old one was better for heavy driven headphones. I know that it depends on longer battery life on new one. But the old one had 8 hours and that is enough for most travels.
Does anybody know if there is any new CD player that has more power output like the older ones had?

Georg Langrath

Apr 17, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 9
5 or 6 mW is about all you'll find on new CD players, unfortunately.

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 9
I think the only manufacturer making portable CD players that have internal amps with any guts is Lenoxx. A few years ago I owned one (can't recall the model #) that was able to power a pair of Sennheiser HD580's all by itself, and quite well.

Lenoxx's website has owners manuals in PDF format, which shows the specs for each model. Output ratings are as high as 20mW per channel. Not sure what load this is rated for, but I assume 16 ohms, so do the approximating calculations for your headphone (ie. ~10mW @32ohms, etc).

Walmart's website shows a few models under the "Durabrand" label. Their B&M stores may have more models in stock under either name.

Apr 18, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 9
I looked at the models. They all have 2 x 20mw as you said. They don't advertise long battery life and that is the price for high output think. But it can be worth it. In the CD-players of today it is sometimes impossible to play loud enough if record has low level even with ordinary travel headphones. Unfortunately I live in Sweden so the shipping costs can be important.

Georg Langrath

Apr 18, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 9
Georg, maybe you have the chance to get a Grundig in Sweden - then I'd suggest looking into the Squixx CDP4101 AS10.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 9
lini,
You use the Grundig through the line-out right? Cause I either had a malfunctioning one or the line-out is just way better than the headphone out. (Although to be honest I do think it is very possible that there was something wrong my Grundig. Cause even my mother who can hardly hear the difference between AM and FM radio reacted by saying: "You've gotta return that!". But neither of us were able to put our finger on what was the matter with it, just that it sounded like crap...)

Langrath,
the iRiver models from imp-350 and up have 2x12mW output. The imp-350 and 400 have poor batterylife but with the external batteries case it will be fine but annoying. The other models are better in batterylife. Maybe you can take a look at the iRiver site. www.iriver.com

Apr 19, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Thank you. I think I can find a Grundig in Sweden if I seek a little. Perhaps not just the model you suggested, but I think that all Grundig have 2 x 10mw out. Not as good as Lenoxx, but still better than most portable CD-players today.

Georg Langrath

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Georg, maybe you have the chance to get a Grundig in Sweden - then I'd suggest looking into the Squixx CDP4101 AS10.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Langrath: The Squixx CDP4100, 4101 AS10 and 4102 AS40 all have 2x 15 mW - avoid the AS40 due to compressed anti-shock, though!

Lisa: Mine seems to work perfectly. Good cells are critical, though - over here, I'd recommend Friwo NiMH 2000 mAh AAs. Good capacity, very low inner resistance, low storage loss. Very nice cells, and not that expensive, either...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 9, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 9
I've recently gone back to my old trusty Panasonic portable CD player (SW405). While the sound is quite pleasant unamped, I wondered if my Ety's (ER4P) would benefit from a more powerful amp.

Well, I was in Walmart today getting a card for Mother's Day. I recalled this thread, and decided to try out one of the newer Lennoxx/Durabrand PCDP's. The Lennoxx players have a headphone-out amp rated at 20mW/per, compared to the 9mW on the Panasonic. The manual doesn't state at what load, so I assume that is 16ohms.

Anyway, long-story-short, it is a piece of garbage. The store I went to had both the CD85 ($19.99), and the CD96 mp3/CD player ($29.99). I only had an extra twenty bucks on me so I opted for the CD85. I carefully opened the sealed bubble case, popped in a set of AA's, and the latest Joss Stone CD. Plugged in my Ety's and prepared for audio nirvana. Alas it was not to be (not for $19.99 anyway). The headphone-out displayed an incredible amount of power, but also an incredible amount of scratchiness and hiss. Completely intolerable. Not what I remember from the CD87 I had a couple of years ago at all.

So, just an FYI to anyone who might have been curious about this line of PCDP's - don't bother. My old SW405, with its smooth headphone-out, beats it down easily even with less power. If I really want more volume, I can add on my Supermini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back