portable CD players (discman)
May 24, 2020 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

spookanide

100+ Head-Fier
So I still like buying physical CDs. Something I plan on doing a lot next time I go to Japan, but I don't want to bring my laptop to have a listen. Are there any good models of portable CD players still being produced? Are there any particularly good past models? What should I watch out for with older portable CD players?
I am not looking to destroy my bank account on vintage collectors stuff.

Some examples:
WALKMAN D EJ985 - reasonably priced listings, seems to be from the 00s minidisc era, minimal body size because it uses gumstick batteries, extra battery life through AA external
no idea what it performs like, but has to be decent if it works as new

Searick/monodeal (???) - new, rechargable battery, two headphone outs, no idea what it performs like
https://www.amazon.com/Searick-Rech...child=1&qid=1590326756&sr=8-1&srs=19600353011

May 25, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 12
So I still like buying physical CDs. Something I plan on doing a lot next time I go to Japan, but I don't want to bring my laptop to have a listen. Are there any good models of portable CD players still being produced? Are there any particularly good past models? What should I watch out for with older portable CD players?
I am not looking to destroy my bank account on vintage collectors stuff.

Some examples:
WALKMAN D EJ985 - reasonably priced listings, seems to be from the 00s minidisc era, minimal body size because it uses gumstick batteries, extra battery life through AA external
no idea what it performs like, but has to be decent if it works as new

Searick/monodeal (???) - new, rechargable battery, two headphone outs, no idea what it performs like
https://www.amazon.com/Searick-Rech...child=1&qid=1590326756&sr=8-1&srs=19600353011
Hi. I still use a portable CD player from time to time, but it's connected to the line in of my Topping DAC and I think it sounds very good. But, there is a general consensus that the best sounding players are those made before the comming of antishock protection. Or at least those that had maybe 15 seconds of it. For example, the old Sony's.

Sound quality stopped being a priority maybe some 20 years ago and kept declining in later years. In my opinión, you will be better served if you get an old CD player from the late 90s than a modern one. Of course, considering battery life, skips and the eventual need for repairs and parts.

In that vein, probably the modern players are not very good sounding.

May 25, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 12
It's a Memorex cheapie. I forgot to mention that it has a lineout. That's important if you use an amp.

20200525_144841.jpg

May 27, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Seems to me that ripping the disc to lossless (FLAC) and putting the tracks onto a DAP is the way to go. Nothing to skip, no old electronics or lasers to fail. YMMV
I specifically said that I don't want to lug around a laptop when I'm holidays and I'd be willing to deal with portable player, given some pointers. Unless you can point me to an affordable and portable ripping solution.

May 27, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 12
I specifically said that I don't want to lug around a laptop when I'm holidays and I'd be willing to deal with portable player, given some pointers. Unless you can point me to an affordable and portable ripping solution.

There are none as far as I know. There used to be some potable CD players able to rio mp3 into SD cards, but nothing with high quality standards. I guess you are better off getting your CD and play them with a good portable until you return home.

May 27, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 12
You could find something like that while in Japan.
I think the unit I was referring to had some kind of modified SACD oversampling scheme. One bit processing or some such. It did sound great. Might have had direct drive motor drive processing also; recall it being very skip resistant due to mechanics not processing.

Its just that I have become spoiled with Amazon Music HD and now I primarily play music from that source on a HiBy R5. But that is a whole different approach than CD collecting. And I get it; I used to be a big collector of Vinyl and shiny Aluminum.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #12 of 12
Completely agree that rippingis becoming a pain. I just enjoy owning the music files lossless and that's sometimes pretty tough to find. Things like the qobuz download store are getting better and better though.

Thanks for the input. Japan does have a massive market for 2nd hand stuff in good condition so that'll be a fun endeavour for holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back