Portable cans
Apr 28, 2002 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Mystyler

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm a lover of portable music, and I am looking to invest in some decent cans in the future. I plan to use them only with portable devices, and don't want an amp.

Right now, I've go my eyes on:
Philips SBC 890
Sony MDR-D22SL
Sony MDR-D66SL

I have heard the Sony D22s in action and they were damn great, and the D66s are even better, so I've heard again and again. The 890s have also got some good words.
I would prefer short cord too, if any other cans have that as an option. I was looking at some Grado S60s/S80s, but I don't think I can get hold of them, and they don't look exactly portable.
Is there anything better for about $150AUD/$75US?

Thanks

Apr 28, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 42
Thanks for the responses!
Yes, I know the 890s are HUGE, but they are SO comfy! And cheap compaired to the other two. What I didn't notice was that they are totally open! I only had a brief try-on and didn't get a chance to listen to them anyway. Plus I'm a bit of a sucker for Philips equipment.
I was also looking at the Koss Portapros, but they seem quite expensive, and I've also heard that Koss ain't all that flash, but not on this board.
Are the Koss really that good? Because that is another option open to me then, but all I've heard is bad raps...

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystyler
I was also looking at the Koss Portapros, but they seem quite expensive, and I've also heard that Koss ain't all that flash, but not on this board.
Are the Koss really that good? Because that is another option open to me then, but all I've heard is bad raps...

Well, that is an interesting observation. I own both and for a sub-$50, no amp required headphone, both the Porta Pro and KSC35 are nearly impossible to beat. And for what its worth, you are going to find the most knowledgeable people on headphones in this forum, not somewhere else. What you will get here is input from people who have “ears on” experience with the headphones they provide opinions on, not from those who “heard if from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who …”.

Apr 28, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Where? On board for the hearing-impaired???
wink.gif

Quote:

Yes, they really are that good. I would get the KSC-35 over the PortaPro, though -- cheaper and better sound (can't beat that combination!).

I personally would never buy the 890 for portable use. Huge and unweildy. The KSC-35 also are better headphones than the Sony Eggo models IMO.

Apr 28, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 42
Maybe part of the confusion about Koss' 'rap' is that only the KSC-35, Porta/Sporta pro get good reviews for current Koss products on these boards, as far as I can tell. Pretty much every other Koss product gets crushed to bits.

I have both the Koss KSC-35 and Sony MDR-D66SL. Either one would do a great job for you.

The following is my own personal opinion, for what it's worth:

KSC-35

1)Debatably the best value in headphones under $100. No longer in production so get hem while you can!
2)Sounds very good.
3)Bass is boosted and a bit uncontrolled - which is just fine for people who want a lot of bass. This works out nicely for portable use since it's hard to hear those low frequencies because of external noise.
4)Extremely portable - just put 'em in a pocket.
5)Very light and comfortable (to me).
6)They just rest on your ear, so no outside noise attenuation.
7)Doesn't have a short cord, but it's not so long as to really get in the way.

Sony MDR-D66SL eggo

1)Kind of expensive ~$80-100
2)Sounds very good, with a more balanced sound than the 35. Has good bass without being boomy. Midrange is a little smoother and highs sparkle more than the KSC-35.
3)Portable, but will only fit in a coat pocket. For summer certainly not as portable as the 35.
4)Comfortable soft pads and fits completely around my ears, which is amazing when considering how small these things are.
5)Attenuates a little outside noise, but is only a semi-closed design. If you're outside and it's windy you can hear the wind whistle through the hole in the enclosure.
6)Short cord! Perfect for portables with a remote.
7)Cool little headphones.

Based only on portability and sound quality, the Koss KSC-35 is your best value by a large margin.

Good luck!

Apr 29, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 42
Wow, I'm glad I found this board.
I heard that Koss was "crap" from da audio boyz who cruise around with their HD500s and "know" everything.
They must not have even heard a pair of Koss's. I did do a search (as LTUCCI1924 suggested) for them here, and everyone seems pretty happy with them.

So you reckon that if I can get some, go the KSC-35s? And if not, the Portapros are good too? I know I can get the D22 Eggos for $110, but I think the D66s will be $200+. Both are import-only. I've seen the Portapros for $140. I guess if I look harder I can get some cheaper. I've also seen the HD200s for about the same price, but they don't look as portable.

Also, would the Koss's annoy anyone that sat next to me on a bus, as in do they leak much sound? I know I get a little bit angry when some loser decides to play his earbuds at max and sits next to me.

As for the 890s, I know they aren't portable, but its nice to dream, isn't it?
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

I heard that Koss was "crap" from da audio boyz who cruise around with their HD500s and "know" everything.
They must not have even heard a pair of Koss's.

Yes, "da audio boyz" have only heard the low-to-mid-level full-size headphones from Koss, most of which are closed. They wouldn't even touch small headphones at all whatsoever, no matter how great they may sound.

Apr 29, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 42
hey LTUCCI1924

i'm kinda in teh same boat as you! i kinda suck at spelling and i have to double check my posting everytime i post. i wouldn't fret too much
biggrin.gif
i actually tried to spell scheming as skeming good thing my hand writing was sloppy or else my professor would have gotten me for that!

Mystyler

is it really that expensive to get the porta-pro to australia? if i were you i look for someone to find one and mail it to you or something to atleast try and reduce the cost.

Apr 29, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 42
The Koss KSC 35s sounded almost as good as my Grado sr60s.

Buy them as they are discontinued....as I write this I am buying a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back