Portable Cans, Final Go--K81 v. PX100
Sep 9, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #31 of 42
On the main K81 thread there are posts discussing the use of an Armorall tire dressing on the earcups. Earlier I mentioned Aerospace 303. Here's additional information (I've no connection to the manufacturer, just as satisfied user):
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=428

protectantgroup275.jpg

There's a lot of discussion on car detailing forums about the relative merits of this class of products.

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #32 of 42
Well, I get paid on Friday and will (depending on overall finances) be looking to order an iPod and the headphones about then. Thanks for the heads-up, I saw the armor all bit too. I'll look into it especially if I decide the cans are suitable for running. What do you think of them so far sound-wise Bob?

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #33 of 42
Oneeyed,

They've tended to stay put with pretty vigorous movement. Sweat generation obviously varies among individuals. For me it hasn't been a deal breaker as I've had an oscillating fan near the treadmills and road bike on trainer setups I've been using. Yes the cups and ear area both get moist but still....

As for sound they continue to surprise me. No they're not Senn HD580/600/650 competition but for what they are (small sealed portables) they're very very good. Keep in mind that I've eschewed sealed cans in the past. And with these I do find myself having to do the classic airplane pressure relief jaw move periodically. The alternative is to seat the K81s so that I don't get as good a seal and isolation. Do that and the sound suffers though.

Best way to indicate where I'm at with these is to say that they stand a very good chance of supplanting my Shure E2Cs that I've had and enjoyed for a couple years as my compact portables. Isolation priority would still cause me to opt for the E2Cs but nothing else at this point.

Any of this help?

Oh one other thing which is something I haven't come across before with burning in: I've been able to slowly throttle the volume back on the Samsung YP-T6 as these cans "open up." I'm now running at the same setting as my Shures. BTW when I haven't had these on my head I've had them burning in with my bedroom receiver.

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #34 of 42
Yeah, I find the assesment quite helpful. Can you be a bit more specific on the sound? Name some pros and cons, describe whats right and not so right in the sound? Do you know of any cans they compare to (I'd still love if you had heard the PX100 or Portapros)?

Sep 15, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #35 of 42
Oneeyed,

I've been on the road this last week which accounts for the delayed response here.

First no, I don't have either PX100 or PortaPros with which to compare. Second, trying to describe the ability of the K81s (or any other headphone or speaker system) to reproduce sound is so subjective that I frankly stay away from all but the most basic terms. Here best to stay with an understanding that I am a big time Maggie fan (versus "box" speakers), strongly prefer Senn can sound to Grados, don't mind the limitations of canalphones but don't see spending beyond the E2Cs I have because such designs will never satisfy me as well as normal headphones do. With all this said I find I tend to agree with others who have pointed out the strong bass capabilities of the K81DJ and their moderate isolation capabilities. I'm still burning mine in so while I do find the upper octaves opening up they're still somewhat subdued. Soundstage has surprised me with the localization provided to the side and rear with recent material from Sting for example. I actually turned my head before I realized what I was hearing was from the particular tune. My reflex response was to what initially appeared to have "leaked in" behind me through the isolation.

Obviously there are tradeoffs with these cans but for my money they do what I want and do it very well. I couldn't have packed my HD580IIs expecting them to survive the way these did on my trip. I can't wear my Senns or Shures exercising as well as I can these AKGs. My Samsung DAP can't drive my Senns without an external portable amplifier but the K81s are just fine thank you. I have worn the K81s for several hours at a stretch without discomfort or annoyance at the sounds conveyed. They're keepers
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #36 of 42
hi i'm a newbie looking for a headphone to upgrade my stock iriver clix earbuds.
portability and isolation are a plus but i can do without them.

i live in the philippines and prices for headphones i'm looking at are:
k81 - 70+$
px100 - 60$
sr60 - 90$

1. which would be the better buy among the 3?
2. is the long cord of the k81 a big nuisance? would the clix have enough juice to drive it?
3. is the difference in sq bet. the k81/sr60 against that of the px100 really that big?

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by noKIDDing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi i'm a newbie looking for a headphone to upgrade my stock iriver clix earbuds.
portability and isolation are a plus but i can do without them.

i live in the philippines and prices for headphones i'm looking at are:
k81 - 70+$
px100 - 60$
sr60 - 90$

1. which would be the better buy among the 3?
2. is the long cord of the k81 a big nuisance? would the clix have enough juice to drive it?
3. is the difference in sq bet. the k81/sr60 against that of the px100 really that big?

I use K81, KS35, PX100 and MS1 with my Clix. On the train I use K81 for isolation and SQ. When walking I use either KS35, PX100 or K81 and at home I use MS1 for comfort.

I use the K81 most and have the cord wrapped on one of these http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=259933 and its OK not ideal.

I would suggest K81 for isolation and KS35/75 for portability and convenience.

PS: Don't like buds or iems if you do your options may open up
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by noKIDDing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey thanks for the suggestion.

i have some more questions
icon10.gif
:
1. does the k81 have enough volume when running unamped from the clix?
2. does it drain the battery faster?

1. Yes, no problems with volume, as the K81 isolates well you don't have to push the volume to much.

2. Don't think so. My battery gets murdered by watching southpark episodes
blink.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX100s are kind of like budget K81djs. They both sound relatively similar but the K81dj is a much better can, but you'll pay double the price.

I've really got to disagree with this. The K81dj is a closed can and sounds it. Impactful, in your face. The PX100 has a much lighter touch and is airy sounding vs the K81dj. I find the PX100 much more pleasant to listen to for extended periods (eg at work). Not only that, there's the comfort factor in which the PX100 kills the miserable feeling K81Dj. I sold off my K81djs without a blink of the eyes. Even though I really respect MarkL, I have to disagree on his call with this one. If I wanted a really demanding, analytic listening session, I might consider the K81djs. But for relaxing and enjoying an afternoon of music, I choose the PX100s.

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've really got to disagree with this. The K81dj is a closed can and sounds it. Impactful, in your face. The PX100 has a much lighter touch and is airy sounding vs the K81dj. I find the PX100 much more pleasant to listen to for extended periods (eg at work). Not only that, there's the comfort factor in which the PX100 kills the miserable feeling K81Dj. I sold off my K81djs without a blink of the eyes. Even though I really respect MarkL, I have to disagree on his call with this one. If I wanted a really demanding, analytic listening session, I might consider the K81djs. But for relaxing and enjoying an afternoon of music, I choose the PX100s.

Not me, i feel the opposite. I'd rather enjoy the k81dj'sthey sound a lot better to me but for the price the px100s are definitely a bargain at only 32 bucks. k81's just fit the music I listen to much better though. They isolate well. I wouldn't exactly call either of these analytical. Especially not the k81's since the bass is so inflated. BTW, way to bring up a really old thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back