Portable Cans, Final Go--K81 v. PX100
Sep 4, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #16 of 42
I've owned dozens of portable headphones I've used over the years when I run. I'd always worn my portable device toward the front. K81DJ is the first one to develop a problem with intermittency which it did very quickly (matter of months not years).

Sep 4, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I've owned dozens of portable headphones I've used over the years when I run. I'd always worn my portable device toward the front. K81DJ is the first one to develop a problem with intermittency which it did very quickly (matter of months not years).

Mmmmm.... if that's the case how did AKG respond to a warranty claim?

Sep 4, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
It's not even a contest regarding sound quality. K81DJ has it all over the Senns.

Which Senns were you talking about? The PX 100, 212, or 485? I've heard the 485 sounds quite good if not better than the K 81, but I don't think the size will make it appealing for portable use (not to mention I would imagine it leaks even more sound than the PX 100).

Sep 6, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 42
Alright, the 485/212 just look too big for my tastes. So, unless someone really thinks the PX100 sounds tons better than the K81, I'm going to swing for the latter (which are only $5 more). Markl, if you see this and could specify which Senn you meant that would be nice.

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Alright, the 485/212 just look too big for my tastes. So, unless someone really thinks the PX100 sounds tons better than the K81, I'm going to swing for the latter (which are only $5 more). Markl, if you see this and could specify which Senn you meant that would be nice.

Oneeyedhobbit,

My bet is that Mark's comment about Senns was in the context of this thread meaning the PX-100s. Hoping my K81s get here this coming weekend; and that the meager 20mW output from my Samsung YP-T6 will work well enough obviating any need to consider Xin, Go-Vibe, or Xenos.

BTW I'll definitely post my usage experiences with the K81 in this thread as you've requested
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 42
The PX100s are kind of like budget K81djs. They both sound relatively similar but the K81dj is a much better can, but you'll pay double the price.

Sep 7, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob A (SD)
Oneeyedhobbit,

My bet is that Mark's comment about Senns was in the context of this thread meaning the PX-100s. Hoping my K81s get here this coming weekend; and that the meager 20mW output from my Samsung YP-T6 will work well enough obviating any need to consider Xin, Go-Vibe, or Xenos.

BTW I'll definitely post my usage experiences with the K81 in this thread as you've requested
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool, thanks.

Per the "K 81s cost double the PX100s" bit, someone on e-bay has the K81s for $55.

Sep 7, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #23 of 42
Oneeyed,

Mine arrived today
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes $55 shipped from facinationproductions on ebay as has been mentioned in the "big" K81 thread.

After treating the pleather with Aerospace 303 (great stuff I use on the non-leather vinyl trim on my S2000 among other things), and flexing the headband a bit, I plugged the K81DJ into my Samsung YP-T6 flash player. First off I normally run my Shure E2Cs at 20 on the volume (max of 30 with output of 20mW). Found I needed additional juice for satisfying volume levels. Going to 24 on the volume did the trick.

Out of the box I must say that they sound better than I had expected (right now I'm playing an album from The Rippingtons). Again at this point I'm not running audiophile sources. I may experiment with better sources later but that's not what these were acquired for. The notorious clamping headband is thusfar a non-issue. Sure it provides a firm fit enabling the ear cushions to fully seal and give a nice degree of isolation but on my size 7 1/8 bald head they're certainly not objectionable. The long cord IS an issue though when plugged into the YP-T6 worn around my neck so I'm leaving it wrapped with one of the shipping twistie ties.

Obviously I have the exercise-sweat issue and burn-in thresholds to cross yet. Initial impressions are very favorable. Plus there are potential mods to consider: foam disc in or out and a custom short cable from cantsleep, etc.

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 42
Sep 8, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
If you worried about sweating from the pleather pads, do like Jahn and swap them for Sennheiser HD25 velour pads. No more sweating
tongue.gif

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=069417

they sound horrible, though. DESTROY the bass, and muddy up the mids and highs; there's a layer of somewhat thick plastic under the velour; it just ruins the sound.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Oneeyed,
First off I normally run my Shure E2Cs at 20 on the volume

You are going to lose your hearing at a very fast rate.

I had the MT6 (same volume level) and couldn't get past volume 10 with IEM's.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
You are going to lose your hearing at a very fast rate.

I had the MT6 (same volume level) and couldn't get past volume 10 with IEM's.

Perhaps your IEMs are much more efficient than the 16 ohm E2Cs which only give 105dB SPL/mW. At the 20 setting I figure I'm getting no more than mid-high 80 db levels. Believe me I'm VERY protective of my hearing. At 59 I still test great across the spectrum with no high frequency loss. So I'm able to fully enjoy my Magneplanars and my cans.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Perhaps your IEMs are much more efficient than the 16 ohm E2Cs which only give 105dB SPL/mW. At the 20 setting I figure I'm getting no more than mid-high 80 db levels. Believe me I'm VERY protective of my hearing. At 59 I still test great across the spectrum with no high frequency loss. So I'm able to fully enjoy my Magneplanars and my cans.

No... I used both E3c's and the E2c's on them and were easily suitable for that level.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
No... I used both E3c's and the E2c's on them and were easily suitable for that level.

Well then your MT6 must have a different output for that control setting. I haven't bothered to look it up. Bottom line here is that while I appreciate your concern, I can assure you that for my YP-T6 on rechargeables with either my E2Cs or K81DJs, a volume setting of 20 does NOT produce dangerous or overly loud SPL levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back