Portable Cans, Final Go--K81 v. PX100
Sep 2, 2006 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry that I've created so many nearly redundant posts in the last few days. Call me anal, I guess. Long story short: need portable headphones. Will be used at work in a university library, so must be closed/leak very little. Also used on CTA (buses and trains), walking around, and potentially running/working out.

Options

1. AKG K81DJ--The new frontrunner, as the size looks acceptable, the cord length can be managed, and they are closed.
2. Senn PX100--A coworker has one actually, so I might get to try it if hes generous. Worried about leak mostly. This could also be a Portapro with the same caveats.
3. UE Super.Fi 3--Never liked in-ears, worried about microphonics, and would like to hear some of whats going on around me. Also more expensive than the others, and I'm on a pretty tight budget.

Mostly I'm looking for comparisons of the sound between the three listed cans, and also some practicallity info on the Senns leaking and size of the AKG. Many, many thanks.

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 42
I only own the K81DJ and they sound superb. They have proved to be very portable for me because I can fold them up and throw them in my bag. The build quality seems very rigid and I havent had any problems there. They isolate well enough for me that when I am on a crowded bus, my music can be heard with very minimal sound coming in from around me. I also take them to my IT class and sometimes its very quiet (as quiet as a library, IMO) but I can still listen to my music as loud as I like and it doesn't seem to be bothersome. They have exceeded my expectations and I would definently reccomend them. The only thing I don't like is the straight jack when I have my iAudio
tongue.gif

Also, I have never gone running with these, so I can't comment. However, I have played my drums with them and because of the amount of movement I make, some sound made its way in. It was particulary annoying because of how it echoed in the cups. I don't think you should use these for running, but YMMV. You could always buy some cheap $20 phones for running and use these for work and the bus/train. Good luck in your search.

Sep 2, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 42
If you need them closed for library use then the AKG 81DJs really are the winner - because the Senns are fairly audible (or so people around me say). The sound is better than the Senns as well. I use the AKGs for flying (whenever I am allowed to carry an mp3 player onto a plane these days), and they isolate me from engine noise fairly well - enough to enjoy the music anyway.

I agree with 1979 that the AKGs won't be so great for exercise, because of the pleather pads, which would get fairly sweaty. They are also kind of bulky for running around in.

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 42
I'm monitoring this thread as I too am curious as to the opinions that will be posted here. That said I have searched the forum where I found a variety of interesting comments ranging from putting the PX100 at 90% of the HD650 to preferences for the K81DJ over the PX100.

My reasons are fairly straightforward. The bulk of my listening is done via bi-amped subwoofer augmented modified Magneplanar IIIA's. For headphones I have a decade old Headroom Supreme / Sennheiser HD-580 II mated to my bedroom stereo system. I long ago quit packing that amp-can set up along with a bulky D cell external power pack and a Philips portable CDP....just too much, pressing the transportable classification despite the admirable sound. I also have a small Samsung FM-MP3 player (about the size of a pack of stick gum) mated to Shure E2c canalphones. I had been seriously looking at obtaining Stax SR-001MkII cans to give me a third option but my youngest son talked me out of it. His reasoning is that at 59, I do not enjoy packing additional bulk in any portable system so why go for another amp/can set? Why not a small packable set of cans that will perform decently without an amp? Something closer in bulk to the Samsung/Shure package. To drive his contention home even more, a set of K81DJs is now en route to me
smily_headphones1.gif
They could be used direct with either of my portables (Philips CDP or Samsung FM/MP3).

Now I've been a Senn guy for decades, having owned 414s and others before I bought my 580s. (BTW I really haven't felt the need to upgrade to 600s or 650s... yet). So in this same portable packable no amp required category he sold me on are the PX100s from Sennheiser that are NOT due in.

Obviously both models are far from the top of the line and accordingly will be used with pedestrian sources compared to my main stereo system. Certainly both are very portable, packable, and capable without an amplifier.

So will I find the AKG house sound or at least that of the K81 to my liking? Or will I yearn for the tried and true Senn sound that the PX100s would represent? Soon I'll be able to answer these questions.

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 42
I don't know what you guys are doing when you listen to your tunes, but I've never been "sweating out" any of my old closed cans. The concern with running might be legit, however. I don't know, if its really bad I guess I'll have to get some KSC-75s or something.

Bob, I don't know where you heard that PX100s are 90% of the HD-650. I find it impossible to swollow. Neverthless, let me know how you like the AKGs. I'm drawn to them because they are closed, and some have even said they prefer them to the Grado SR-60s (which I've heard almost universally trump the PX100). The size initially concerned me, but they look small and unobtrusive enough folded that I can get by with carrying all of my books and them in the same bag. Plus, while I've only seen one picture of them on someone's noggin, it looked pretty reasonable. Finally, it won't hurt that they block external noise when out and about/on the CTA. My main concern with the PX100s (aside from which sound better) is the sound that would leak. I don't listen terribly loud, but I've never heard definitely how much of a problem it is. Some say they leak oodles, some say not so much at all.

Sep 3, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 42
One eye,

Oh I quite concur about that 90% of the HD650 comment I found. There definitely is some overhyping of both the PX100 and K81DJ
smily_headphones1.gif

My son figured closed cans would make more sense for my portable use too for all the right reasons.

As an aside, since I didn't comment about this earlier, I too am anxious to find out how well the K81s will perform while exercising (treadmill, my road bike mounted on a trainer, Marcy "universal" weight center, etc.). I'm currently in a cardiac rehab program after an episode this past Easter sunday. Here I'll be looking at microphonics, "suction popping" where the seal fluctuates, and the sweat factor.

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 42
As far as sweating goes, I have found that sitting in my rooom, listening to music for hours (I do that sometimes, 4 to 5 hours at a time...) can cause a little sweating. I would imagine that exercising with them would make it exponetially worse. You could try the velour pads, but in my personal opinion, just buy something small to get you by on exercising, I really doubt that these AKGs will fit the bill. These are nice solid headphones but they were made for DJ's. Other than exercising, I do believe these would be a nice pair of headphones for you. I don't know if this is an option for you, but maybe you could find a place to try them out before you buy, just to solidify your decision.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 42
Currently I use the rather crappy buds that came with the Samsung YP-T6 when exercising. The E2Cs I simply haven't attempted for this use figuring that movement would break the seal. The K81DJs I'm being gifted with are known for their clamping fit so despite the pleather sweat issue inter alia I'll no doubt try them for this use. We'll see
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 42
Let me know how the exercise goes Bob. Also, does anyone think that the Sennheiser HD 212/435 are worth adding to my list of contendors? They're priced about the same as the K81 DJ.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 42
It's not even a contest regarding sound quality. K81DJ has it all over the Senns. I'm a runner and use the AKGs when I run. Problem is you look like a big ol' dork with them strapped on and you have the extra cord length to deal with. I've gotten by by stuffing the excess cord in my pocket.

Word of advice-- the K81DJ cord, where it connects to the jack is very sensitive/non-durable. If you run, make sure to put your iPod device completely at your side, so there is no stress placed on the connector by your leg moving up and down. That will prevent an intemittancy problem from developing and having to invest in a new pair as I did.

Sep 3, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 42
I have the Senn's and the AKG's and I haven't been listening to anything else but the K81DJ's since they showed up on my doorstep. Feel like I've been seduced and lovin' it, even listening at home which I rarely do. A real score at $55 IMO.

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Word of advice-- the K81DJ cord, where it connects to the jack is very sensitive/non-durable. If you run, make sure to put your iPod device completely at your side, so there is no stress placed on the connector by your leg moving up and down. That will prevent an intemittancy problem from developing and having to invest in a new pair as I did.

Mark,

Yours is the only comment I've come across regarding issues with the phono plug. The strain on the connection you allude to while running isn't something I would think any phono connector could sustain long without problems and thus your warning about proper carry, et cetera, is applicable across the board. Frankly, it just doesn't sound like either an inherent K81 design or AKG QC issue eligible for warranty coverage. Your statement that the jack is "very sensitive/non-durable" may therefore be a bit of miscategorization. Your having invested in a second K81DJ would seem to support that view.

I'm really not trying to nitpick or be arguementative. I really believe you meant your comment to be taken in the context of not wanting others to place inordinate strain on their phono plugs as opposed to a universal statement that the phono connection is inferior. I for one will embrace your counsel to minimize strain when I have my K81s in hand and employ them while exercising
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back