Portable Budget Amp with Strong (and clean) Sub-bass???
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

slowpickr

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'm currently using a Fiio E11k for music listening (mostly Electronica/EDM).  I've come to the conclusion recently that the bass boost on the E11k just isn't cutting it (guess I'm a basshead).  Anyway, are there any portable amps out there $60 or under that could provide some good, clean sub-bass that exceeds the E11k?  Thinking about the Brainwavz AP001 or maybe a CmoyBB.  The source I would use it with most would be a Fiio X1.  Might also consider a non-portable amp.

Thanks!  

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 7
  Hi all,

I'm currently using a Fiio E11k for music listening (mostly Electronica/EDM).  I've come to the conclusion recently that the bass boost on the E11k just isn't cutting it (guess I'm a basshead).  Anyway, are there any portable amps out there $60 or under that could provide some good, clean sub-bass that exceeds the E11k?  Thinking about the Brainwavz AP001 or maybe a CmoyBB.  The source I would use it with most would be a Fiio X1.  Might also consider a non-portable amp.

Thanks!  

Maybe you would be better off tailoring the eq on the X1 to give the bass you want.  More flexibility instead of being locked into whatever bass boost a particular amp might give you.  Save some cash too.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Maybe you would be better off tailoring the eq on the X1 to give the bass you want.  More flexibility instead of being locked into whatever bass boost a particular amp might give you.  Save some cash too.

That's a good idea and save your money until you can get a more expensive amp that may suit your needs even more because at this point the amp you get isn't going to do much just bass boost and there isn't a definitive bass boost so you may not like it especially in the price range. I know when you get into the little more expensive range like $100-150 like the jus labs c421 and c5 they have excellent bass boost .for the price range. So it might be smarter to save your money and get a better amp not to mention those amp sound amazing.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies.  I've actually tried upping the low end EQ on my X1 and for some reason it doesn't seem to have much effect like on other devices.  Also, I like using line out on it with an amp for a cleaner sound.  Anyway, perhaps saving money for a C5 (or something similar) would be the best option.  However, the Brainwavz is only $26 on Amazon right now.  I'm thinking I could get that to "get by" on until I can save some money.
''
That's a good idea and save your money until you can get a more expensive amp that may suit your needs even more because at this point the amp you get isn't going to do much just bass boost and there isn't a definitive bass boost so you may not like it especially in the price range. I know when you get into the little more expensive range like $100-150 like the jus labs c421 and c5 they have excellent bass boost .for the price range. So it might be smarter to save your money and get a better amp not to mention those amp sound amazing.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 7
yeah i mean, you should do whatever you feel is right or you think is a ''good move''  if saving money is then do that if buying what you want now is then do that. gotta do what will make you happy what you feel is the right thing. i know how hard it is when there are so many choices you dont know what to do.

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 7
  yeah i mean, you should do whatever you feel is right or you think is a ''good move''  if saving money is then do that if buying what you want now is then do that. gotta do what will make you happy what you feel is the right thing. i know how hard it is when there are so many choices you dont know what to do.

Yeah, it's hard sometimes.  I don't really need an amp anyway because my phones are pretty much all low impedance.  Just wanting that low end slam that portable DAPs don't seem to be able to deliver without muddying everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back