Portable bluetooth DAC/AMP receiver for android

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by mellda, Dec 4, 2017.
  1. mellda
    Hello guys.

I need help with choosing the best receiver. I want to create wireless headphones from my Shure 1540. I will attache the small bluetooth receiver to the headphone bridge, add a wireless charger and print the stand on my 3D printer. But I'm not sure which receiver to buy. I don't want to spend much money. I found these receivers:

- FiiO BRT1 (SBC, apt-x)
    - Creative Sound Blaster E3 (SBC, AAC, apt-x)
    - Astell&Kern XB10 (SBC, ACC, apt-x, apt-x HD)

I use Android phone and I won't change it for iPhone. My phone is Sony Z5. I found the phone has Bluetooth 4.1 with apt-X and Sony LDAC wireless High-Res Audio codec. I found it here

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5-review-1293.php

I hope it is true. The phone has android 7 and there will not be any upgrade to android 8. I'm beginner to this so I ask: What codec will be used if I play music from spotify? It is not dependent on the app. The sound is reencoded to transfer it via bluetooth. Will be used the apt-x? Is it good codec? What receiver will be good? I tend to FiiO BRT1 because it is the cheapest one and has good battery life. But the battery life is not an issue probably. I may upgrade my phone in the future but probably not in 2018 or 2019. Which is the most reasonable option?