Portable bass.
Aug 13, 2004 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sgraphics

Head-Fier
I would like to know what would be the best portable bass headphone out there. I love bass and I will get the DT770 one day but right now I need something portable.

My sister has the ksc-35's that I bought her and they are really nice and thumpy. But maybe there are portable phones that have more lower bass. And besides, I would like to get something new, not ksc35/50 again
smily_headphones1.gif

PX200, Shure, Ety, maybe even Sony has something? Portable
basshead.gif
. Or is it even possible?

[EDIT] BTW I hate sony V700-DJ's or whatever they are. They may have had bass, but overall quality of their sound was rubbish.

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 16
I too am a basshead (I sprung for the Shure e5's . . .). I do not like boomy bass, but do like it low
basshead.gif
I have both the px200/100. The px200 is pretty good if you want isolation, but I found it kind of tedious to adjust it perfectly every time I put it on. The px100 is much easier to wear and just as good, if not better sound-wise, but I found it uncomfortable. I did a ksc-50/px-100 mod (switched the earpads) and the comfort is excellent now. I think you will like this mod especially since the bass is way more "thumpy" with the softer pads on the px100. You do have the ksc-50's handy, so you are the perfect test subject for this mod!
evil_smiley.gif
No, really, I tried a lot of portable phones. . . all of them are good, but some are really good. The Koss's sounded great when you pressed them to your ears . . . the px-100 gives you this sound all of the time. This mod makes it better!

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Portapros have lots of bass -- too much in fact, but if you like a bassy sound then may suit you. Plus, they're relatives of the KSC-35, which you already know.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 16
I would like to say that I decided to buy the PX100. Got a bargain on them too. These are my initial impressions.
I think they are really nice. i really like their fold-up design (great portables). Bass response is great
smily_headphones1.gif
Highs I think could be louder. They are pretty layed back. One thing is strange though... I have a weak 128MB player/USBstick and at high volumes it doesnt seem to have enough power to feed the PX100's. The bass isnt as smooth then. For example the HD202 that I have, dont have this problem with that player. With amped, a whole nother story - they reach really high volumes and still sound perfect.

BTW I like the sound more than KSC-35's, because of the depth the lower bass gives (though the KSC-35 sounds more alive and I can see why you guys would prefer them). Mids seem great. Not that happy about the highs though. Can anyone tell me if their sound changes during burn-in?

Aug 19, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgraphics
I would like to say that I decided to buy the PX100. Got a bargain on them too. These are my initial impressions.
I think they are really nice. i really like their fold-up design (great portables). Bass response is great
smily_headphones1.gif
Highs I think could be louder. They are pretty layed back. One thing is strange though... I have a weak 128MB player/USBstick and at high volumes it doesnt seem to have enough power to feed the PX100's. The bass isnt as smooth then. For example the HD202 that I have, dont have this problem with that player. With amped, a whole nother story - they reach really high volumes and still sound perfect.

BTW I like the sound more than KSC-35's, because of the depth the lower bass gives (though the KSC-35 sounds more alive and I can see why you guys would prefer them). Mids seem great. Not that happy about the highs though. Can anyone tell me if their sound changes during burn-in?

The HD202 are by a good margin the easiest-to-drive headphones I've used (and I've had most of the good portables/budget cans) so I don't know if they make a good basis for comparison. If the PX100s were more difficult to drive than the KSC-35's, on the other hand, that would run against my experience.

I haven't experienced any change int he PX100s with burn in.

Aug 19, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
If the PX100s were more difficult to drive than the KSC-35's, on the other hand, that would run against my experience.

I havent tried the KSC's with that player yet.

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
The HD202 are by a good margin the easiest-to-drive headphones I've used (and I've had most of the good portables/budget cans) so I don't know if they make a good basis for comparison. If the PX100s were more difficult to drive than the KSC-35's, on the other hand, that would run against my experience.

I haven't experienced any change int he PX100s with burn in.

Are the HD202s basshead cans?

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
Are the HD202s basshead cans?

Well they do possess it times more than for example ksc-35. And I'm sure a basshead would be satisfied by the level. And the tonality of the bass is pleasent so it doesnt tire you out.

One sidenote though. I just got a better soundcard (SBLive as opposed to integrated CMedia) and now the highs climbed even higher and the weak midrange became even more evident. But it really doesnt bug me because I listen to electronic music
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgraphics
One sidenote though. I just got a better soundcard (SBLive as opposed to integrated CMedia) and now the highs climbed even higher and the weak midrange became even more evident. But it really doesnt bug me because I listen to electronic music
smily_headphones1.gif

Eww... icky SB-Live! Why in the world did you waste money on that peice of garbage? There are much better cards out there for less. It is really the worst non-onboard, brandname audio soundcard on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back