1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Portable bass.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by sgraphics, Aug 13, 2004.
Next

Last
  1. sgraphics
    I would like to know what would be the best portable bass headphone out there. I love bass and I will get the DT770 one day but right now I need something portable.

My sister has the ksc-35's that I bought her and they are really nice and thumpy. But maybe there are portable phones that have more lower bass. And besides, I would like to get something new, not ksc35/50 again [​IMG]

PX200, Shure, Ety, maybe even Sony has something? Portable [​IMG]. Or is it even possible?

[EDIT] BTW I hate sony V700-DJ's or whatever they are. They may have had bass, but overall quality of their sound was rubbish.

2. cellophane Contributor
    I too am a basshead (I sprung for the Shure e5's . . .). I do not like boomy bass, but do like it low [​IMG] I have both the px200/100. The px200 is pretty good if you want isolation, but I found it kind of tedious to adjust it perfectly every time I put it on. The px100 is much easier to wear and just as good, if not better sound-wise, but I found it uncomfortable. I did a ksc-50/px-100 mod (switched the earpads) and the comfort is excellent now. I think you will like this mod especially since the bass is way more "thumpy" with the softer pads on the px100. You do have the ksc-50's handy, so you are the perfect test subject for this mod! [​IMG] No, really, I tried a lot of portable phones. . . all of them are good, but some are really good. The Koss's sounded great when you pressed them to your ears . . . the px-100 gives you this sound all of the time. This mod makes it better!

3. Kurt Contributor
  4. Mr.Radar
    Have you considered the Sony V6? It's not exactly small but it folds up and it's suppost to have big bass.

5. Kirosia
    Porta Pros maybe.

6. Davie Contributor
    Portapros have lots of bass -- too much in fact, but if you like a bassy sound then may suit you. Plus, they're relatives of the KSC-35, which you already know.

7. sgraphics
    I would like to say that I decided to buy the PX100. Got a bargain on them too. These are my initial impressions.
    I think they are really nice. i really like their fold-up design (great portables). Bass response is great [​IMG] Highs I think could be louder. They are pretty layed back. One thing is strange though... I have a weak 128MB player/USBstick and at high volumes it doesnt seem to have enough power to feed the PX100's. The bass isnt as smooth then. For example the HD202 that I have, dont have this problem with that player. With amped, a whole nother story - they reach really high volumes and still sound perfect.

BTW I like the sound more than KSC-35's, because of the depth the lower bass gives (though the KSC-35 sounds more alive and I can see why you guys would prefer them). Mids seem great. Not that happy about the highs though. Can anyone tell me if their sound changes during burn-in?

8. Davie Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sgraphics
    I would like to say that I decided to buy the PX100. Got a bargain on them too. These are my initial impressions.
    I think they are really nice. i really like their fold-up design (great portables). Bass response is great [​IMG] Highs I think could be louder. They are pretty layed back. One thing is strange though... I have a weak 128MB player/USBstick and at high volumes it doesnt seem to have enough power to feed the PX100's. The bass isnt as smooth then. For example the HD202 that I have, dont have this problem with that player. With amped, a whole nother story - they reach really high volumes and still sound perfect.

BTW I like the sound more than KSC-35's, because of the depth the lower bass gives (though the KSC-35 sounds more alive and I can see why you guys would prefer them). Mids seem great. Not that happy about the highs though. Can anyone tell me if their sound changes during burn-in?

The HD202 are by a good margin the easiest-to-drive headphones I've used (and I've had most of the good portables/budget cans) so I don't know if they make a good basis for comparison. If the PX100s were more difficult to drive than the KSC-35's, on the other hand, that would run against my experience.

I haven't experienced any change int he PX100s with burn in.

9. sgraphics
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
    If the PX100s were more difficult to drive than the KSC-35's, on the other hand, that would run against my experience.

I havent tried the KSC's with that player yet.

10. ReDVsion
    er... the Ultrasone HFI-700? [​IMG]

11. BowerR64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
    The HD202 are by a good margin the easiest-to-drive headphones I've used (and I've had most of the good portables/budget cans) so I don't know if they make a good basis for comparison. If the PX100s were more difficult to drive than the KSC-35's, on the other hand, that would run against my experience.

I haven't experienced any change int he PX100s with burn in.

Are the HD202s basshead cans?

12. sgraphics
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
    Are the HD202s basshead cans?

Well they do possess it times more than for example ksc-35. And I'm sure a basshead would be satisfied by the level. And the tonality of the bass is pleasent so it doesnt tire you out.

One sidenote though. I just got a better soundcard (SBLive as opposed to integrated CMedia) and now the highs climbed even higher and the weak midrange became even more evident. But it really doesnt bug me because I listen to electronic music [​IMG]

13. Mr.Radar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sgraphics
    One sidenote though. I just got a better soundcard (SBLive as opposed to integrated CMedia) and now the highs climbed even higher and the weak midrange became even more evident. But it really doesnt bug me because I listen to electronic music [​IMG]

Eww... icky SB-Live! Why in the world did you waste money on that peice of garbage? There are much better cards out there for less. It is really the worst non-onboard, brandname audio soundcard on the market.

14. sgraphics
    I got it from a friend practically for free but I guess thats not an excuse. [​IMG]

15. terrymx Contributor
    anyone who dont want their creative labs sound cards or sony v700, send them to me.

Next

Last