Portable and affordable amplifier?
Jul 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hp1

New Head-Fier
I looking to buy a cheap amp for my macbook air 11. My budget is $100 or less, I have been looking around for product and review and I find  three that really interest me:
The Audiophile Products Fireye II USB DAC/Headphones Amplifier at $95
The NuForce Icon uDAC2-HP (Black) Headphone Amp and USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) at $99
and the FiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) at 94.59
I read a lot of review about those three they each have their strength and their weakness but which one of them is the best?
-Please help me chose one.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks, that web site is very useful!
atsmile.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 14
I like the uDAC2, the form is very appealing and if it's even 1/5th as good as the HDP is, it'll be very good. 

I piggyback an iBasso D3 on my laptop with velcro straps and run a headphone out of it. That setup has brought me much happiness over several years! I had to replace the internal battery because of how much I was using it/charging it but other than that I think the uDAC might be a really good choice! It's more or less the same DAC as my D3 and the amp section should be powerful enough for most moderate headphones!

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 14
If you have $10-20 headphones, you're much much better off getting $100 headphones before thinking about a better DAC/amp.

That said, more is known about the FiiO E7 and NuForce uDAC2 than the Fireye.  The uDAC has a couple weird issues including bad channel balance at low levels, depending on whether or not you get unlucky with the potentiometer you get.  (Granted, there seem to be occasional bad QC with FiiO.)  If you don't need the slightly extra power into higher-impedance headphones, the E7 should be better than that.

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 14
Spending that money on a headphone upgrade will do much, much more to improve the sound compared to getting an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back