Portable Amps that Have good Synergy with LiveWires?
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 6
can't comment just yet as my Livewires are not quite here yet (a week or less!). i'm going to start with the Meier 2Move and the Livewires. in low gain, low current, the 2Move sounds great with my super.fi 3 single transducers and i'm hoping that translates to out of this world with the Livewires. if not, i'm falling back to a Mini3. if i didn't have the couple of choices that i already have, i'd be checking out something in an RSA case
smily_headphones1.gif

jeff h

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 6
I really didnt want to spend as much to get a predator or a pico I was hoping more budget friendly. If I build my own mini 3, any one have experience with the synergy between a mini3 and LWs, or with a Tomahawk?

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm using my Livewires with a GoVibe Magnum. The ability to change the bass emphasis on the Magnum can help the Livewires sound "fun" on electronic music. The max bass settings are not muddy, and brings out bass in the Etymotic ER6 as well. This amp keeps the Livewires detailed sound while providing a lower end kick.

Another cheap amp I've auditioned with the Livewires is the iBasso P2. Being able to adjust bass is nice. On some tracks, the Livewires have great detail and bass extension, but if you want a low end kick, the Magnum and P2 are great. The iBasso P2 is not sold on their website right now as they're preparing a P3, no idea what the specs are.

A few amps with adjustable bass that are affordable (under $200):
Practical Devices XM4
Headstage Headphonia.com Lyrix
Penguinamp Caffeine
Minibox E+
C&C amps

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really didnt want to spend as much to get a predator or a pico I was hoping more budget friendly. If I build my own mini 3, any one have experience with the synergy between a mini3 and LWs, or with a Tomahawk?

NO to the Tomahawk. I thought my TH made the Livewires a little grainy and bright. The Predator and Pico are good but out of your budget. The Predator and HeadSix are what I use with the Livewires 90% of the time.

So, the Meier HeadSix after switching to low gain is pretty good with Livewires and at $185 shipped is much cheaper than the Predator or Tomahawk. So is the PenguinAmp Caffeine Pro or Headstage Lyrix Pro, which sound very similar to the HeadSix but are not as small as the HeadSix (but they are less costly).

The iBasso D2 Viper with stock opamps was good too (with the opamps I selected for my RS-1 the D-2 viper mids are too forward on the Livewires). I suspect the newer D2 Boa will be as good, but it's a guess.

I don't recall trying the 2MOVE with Livewires, and I've never touched a mini3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back