Portable Amp To Drive Grados
Jul 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bryguy27007

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my Grado SR-80s, and I am looking for an amp to power them.
I might get a pair of 225s or 325is later, so it would be nice if it would be able to power them.

I have read through all the threads that I could on the subject, but I would still like more input.

My source right now is a Sony Walkman, I will probably buy an iPod later (trying to carry 42 gigs in CDs gets tiring).

The amps I am looking at are:

PA2V2
Penguin Caffeine
Go Vibe 5

My budget is around 80 dollars right now, but I might be able to get more if it would greatly benefit.

I like the Penguin Caffeine amp, does that synergize with the Grados?
I like how the PA2V2 has a rechargeable battery, but I heard I might be able to get better for the money.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 27
I have always loved the sound of my SR60s and 325i's through my Corda 2Move. The dynamic range seems very good to me, and it's quite capable of delivering ear thumping bass, as well as detail that's not fatiguing.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 27
They also offer the Corda XXS, and there's always the Headsix (both the same amp section I believe).

The 2move has a ton of features, but if you want just an amp then Meier has some cheaper options.

I'll let others chime in on the Headsix and XXS sounds, as I have not yet heard them.

My bad, I just read your budget.

My suggestion, is to save up a bit and get something that's a bit pricier and great quality. You will thank yourself in the long run, and will probably save you from upgrading for a good while.

You can enjoy any Grado straight from any DAP with extremely good results, so I'd just hold off until I had around $200 to play with.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 27
What about the iQube. The "class D" design might make for a good match.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 27
I too have the Grado sr80 as my primary headphone. Great entry to audiophile. The sr80 does not require much power to push them. I bought a used headroom cosmic referance that is sooo great on more demanding headphones but I did not see much improvement on the sr80. The fullness of sound and improved tightness of base was noticable but could be achieved with much less amp. My sugestion would be to improve source or get a dac that will alow you to upgrade amp later.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 27
Check out some of the reviews and comparisons of various amps (Skylabs is a good place to start). Find some amps that you like and then start checking the FS forums daily. You can even post some WTB threads. I have seen amps that retailed for as high as 200 go for less than 100 (much better than anything you could get new for 80). You can always get more bang for your buck buying used. I myself saved close to 100 off retail by buying my Headamp AE2 used. Just be patient and you will be rewarded.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They also offer the Corda XXS, and there's always the Headsix (both the same amp section I believe).

The 2move has a ton of features, but if you want just an amp then Meier has some cheaper options.

I'll let others chime in on the Headsix and XXS sounds, as I have not yet heard them.

My bad, I just read your budget.

My suggestion, is to save up a bit and get something that's a bit pricier and great quality. You will thank yourself in the long run, and will probably save you from upgrading for a good while.

You can enjoy any Grado straight from any DAP with extremely good results, so I'd just hold off until I had around $200 to play with.

I'll see if I have the willpower to do that.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the iQube. The "class D" design might make for a good match.

I'll check that out, thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Penguin Caffeine with my new SR225 and I have no complaints. It works well with my SR60 also.

Thank you, that is good to hear.
Do you find it helps much, or do you just not have any complaints?

Quote:

Originally Posted by u-hear-that /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too have the Grado sr80 as my primary headphone. Great entry to audiophile. The sr80 does not require much power to push them. I bought a used headroom cosmic referance that is sooo great on more demanding headphones but I did not see much improvement on the sr80. The fullness of sound and improved tightness of base was noticable but could be achieved with much less amp. My sugestion would be to improve source or get a dac that will alow you to upgrade amp later.

I will consider that.
Improving my source might be a good idea.
I can't decide between an iPod and a Zune. I like iTunes better, but I like the actual Zune player better, but then the iPod can take a LOD. I would have to get some more cash to do that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out some of the reviews and comparisons of various amps (Skylabs is a good place to start). Find some amps that you like and then start checking the FS forums daily. You can even post some WTB threads. I have seen amps that retailed for as high as 200 go for less than 100 (much better than anything you could get new for 80). You can always get more bang for your buck buying used. I myself saved close to 100 off retail by buying my Headamp AE2 used. Just be patient and you will be rewarded.

I will check out Skylabs, thank you.
I actually can't post a WTB ad yet, I think I still have 25 posts and a few weeks to go before I do that. I will keep a constant eye on the F/S/T section though, thank you.

I'm looking at the Boa now.
I'll have to see if anybody is selling used.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 27
i have grado 325i and the iqube( as well as the predator) and sounds fantastic!!
No problems driving the 325 at all and sound fantastic through the LOD with a decent cable!

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have grado 325i and the iqube( as well as the predator) and sounds fantastic!!
No problems driving the 325 at all and sound fantastic through the LOD with a decent cable!

I just checked out the iqube, and it is way out of my price range.
I am not going to be able to do that.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 27
Oh ok
sorry!!
What was your price range?

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh ok
sorry!!
What was your price range?

Don't be sorry, I appreciate the advice anyway.
I have about 80 dollars to spare right now, but I might be able to get about 200 dollars later on if it will really make that big of a difference. Of course, the less money and the better improvement, the better.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryguy27007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be sorry, I appreciate the advice anyway.
I have about 80 dollars to spare right now, but I might be able to get about 200 dollars later on if it will really make that big of a difference. Of course, the less money and the better improvement, the better.

150 to 200 would open a much wider selection of amps you could get. It would be better to wait a while IMHO. The SR80's will still satisfy you for a few months without an amp and you will be able to score a really sweet amp with that budget.

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 27
Keep saving and go as high as you can!!
I hear kidneys are fetching a fair rate right now!!
Anyone wanna buy one of mine?
Or a retina? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back