Portable Amp suggestions for Hifiman Re-262's?
Jun 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Grandorn

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
So, I purchased the Hifiman Re-262's a few months ago, and I absolutely love them. I had read that a portable amplifier was suggested to really have the 262s shine, so I added the FiiO e6 to the order. However, when I got the e6 it did not at all live up to my expectation, and made the 262s sound bloated and overall un-interesting, so I never really used it. Well, turns out my FiiO was fake, and it made a lot of sense too, so now I am again in the market for a portable amp.

So, what do you guys think? I mainly listen with my iPod fourth gen, and have FiiO's handy LOD connector, so what would be a good amp to complement my 262s, should I just stick with another e6 or venture on in to higher end amps? For my price range, I don't really want to spend more than $85 unless it will really last me, and I am totally open to suggestions. Suggestions would be great, and I am curious to know what you guys use along the lines of portable amping.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have been looking at the JDS cMoyBB, e11, and digizoid ZO which all look promising, but I am a complete noob when it comes to amps.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hey guys,
So, I purchased the Hifiman Re-262's a few months ago, and I absolutely love them. I had read that a portable amplifier was suggested to really have the 262s shine, so I added the FiiO e6 to the order. However, when I got the e6 it did not at all live up to my expectation, and made the 262s sound bloated and overall un-interesting, so I never really used it. Well, turns out my FiiO was fake, and it made a lot of sense too, so now I am again in the market for a portable amp.

So, what do you guys think? I mainly listen with my iPod fourth gen, and have FiiO's handy LOD connector, so what would be a good amp to complement my 262s, should I just stick with another e6 or venture on in to higher end amps? For my price range, I don't really want to spend more than $85 unless it will really last me, and I am totally open to suggestions. Suggestions would be great, and I am curious to know what you guys use along the lines of portable amping.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have been looking at the JDS cMoyBB, e11, and digizoid ZO which all look promising, but I am a complete noob when it comes to amps.

I think the Fiio E11 was a fine, budget combo with the RE262. That being said, I think you should make sure you really like the RE262 before trying to buy an amp that makes it sound different. Granted, a fake amp will sound bad. But do you like it out of your ipod, even if its underamped? Is it the sound signature your don't like and should you be looking for a different headphone instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back