1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Portable Amp Recommendation

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by hapyhar0ld, May 14, 2018.
  1. hapyhar0ld
    Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I am in the search for a portable amp and am seeking recommendations. I appreciate good sound although I can't say I have golden ears. Most of my music collection is in the iTunes plus format and with my ears, I could not differentiate the difference between that and ALAC in a double blind test.

That said, I am all about the best bang for the buck and have settled on three headphones that satisfy most of my needs - Sennheiser x Massdrop 6XX, Sennheiser 25-1 II and JH5.

The Sennheiser is almost permanently hooked up at home to a JDS Labs O2. I am looking for something that will power the JH5 and 25-1 II while at work and on the road.

I understand that neither are necessarily difficult to drive however I am looking for something that will help refine the sound.

I don't necessarily have a budget but I generally don't want to spend more than $400 unless I can really justify it. Since my iPhone 7 is my primary DAP, I also really don't want forty dongles in order to get the damn things hooked up.

From my research it looks like a Dragonfly might be a good bet although I would have to utilize a lightening to USB adapter. I have also read that the Q1 and Q5 are worth looking at as is the Mojo, however the Mojo may be priced higher than it's performance.

What say you Head-Fi?

2. Koolpep
    ifi xDSD - only the Apple CCK needed and bam! In doubt you could even use the bluetooth connection (AAC) with your iPhone. Also - xDSD fits perfectly in your budget. $399. I love this little device a lot!! The Fiio Q5 is always worth a look as is the Mojo, though I would prefer the xDSD to the mojo, find it more versatile.

hapyhar0ld likes this.
  3. Slashn77
    I also use a iPhone 7 and stream tidal lossless and I use the fiio Q1 directly into my phone.
    The Q5 is $350 and looks smaller and not as wide. I love the look and features of the xdsd as well but it might stack wider than your phone if it’s not a 7 plus like mine.

Do you know if the Apple camera kit also plugs directly into the ifi micro black label (way bigger than both but 4 watts of power) like it does to the xdsd?

4. Koolpep
    Yes it does in the exact same way. Has a make usb-a port so the CCK can be inserted directly.

See picture here https://goo.gl/images/h2z8Vt

Cheers.