portable amp questions
Aug 23, 2006 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hYdrociTy

Banned
I have an ipod photo and was thinking of getting an amp for my super.fi 5pro. I am deciding between either the total bithead or the porta corda. I care more about spaciousness and airyness than extreme accuracy, and the superfis sound really flat and dull right now, so any suggestions?
confused.gif

Secondly, I really like the cable selections at audiolineout, but am wondering is it better to get their ipod dock to mini style and connect to the amp, or is it better to just get a red wine audio mod, and i am asking because the imod only seems to give line out to a mini, not to the docking port. I am saying this because according to red wine audio the stock ipod is probably not worth the silver dock connector line out, but im too poor to get the imod then another silver mini to mini cable. I want to know if i get the audiolineout silver dock to mini would that make a big improvement without the imod?

thanks for your feedback guys!
etysmile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi hydrocity. welcome to head-fi and sorry about your purse!

With all do respect you are a newbie and should avoid the common symptoms that I cannot disclose publicly.
This is what you need:

* a good cdp like a cary cdp1

* Stax Lambda system

* hd580/hd600 and a LDII+ with Mullard M8161 and Russian 4P1L tubes..

* akg K501 rewired because the stock cable is three conductor junk. Amplify with a B22.

there. you skipped all the bs and got right to the point.

-lara
(>'-')>

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 10
to: hYdrociTy
and also: hYdrociTy

Oh, thou hast definitely been here too long — and not even a year gone by!!!

There's so much silliness I could toss in here, but I'll refrain.

How come your avatar has the flimsy ol' crappy 3-conductor wire, and not the gleaming new ribbon cable?!

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to: hYdrociTy
and also: hYdrociTy

Oh, thou hast definitely been here too long — and not even a year gone by!!!

There's so much silliness I could toss in here, but I'll refrain.

How come your avatar has the flimsy ol' crappy 3-conductor wire, and not the gleaming new ribbon cable?!

you're right! not even a year but felt like a lifetime. time flies when you are having fun yet time stands still when you look at all the stuff you've learned.

yea i should really photosh0p the shiny cable onto it..

ugh.. and still no shohin.. when i came here the v2 was like discontinued pending the new amp.. still no word yet after like 1300 posts... sigh...

be back when i hit 3000. [size=xx-small](hopefully with a shohin)[/size]

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the practical devices XM3 is probably the greatest headphone amp ever made. . . you should buy them used though because the are cheaper. . .

PLUGED

Oh come now Terance -- if you thought the XM3 was the best ever you wouldn't be selling yours right now. Unless ...

Apr 13, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi hydrocity. welcome to head-fi and sorry about your purse!

With all do respect you are a newbie and should avoid the common symptoms that I cannot disclose publicly.
This is what you need:

* a good cdp like a cary cdp1

* Stax Lambda system

* hd580/hd600 and a LDII+ with Mullard M8161 and Russian 4P1L tubes..

* akg K501 rewired because the stock cable is three conductor junk. Amplify with a B22.

there. you skipped all the bs and got right to the point.

-lara
(>'-')>

Ever followed Strungoutt on his entrance to head-fi?
k1000 -> purchased, tried, annoyed by amp ambiguity, sold
l3000 -> purchased, awaiting
SP MPX3 -> On the verge of purchasing.

This guy has been here for little over a month =O

Also, what the hell, you did not get any responses to this thread since July ?!?!?! God I hate head-fi and its ambiguity.

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the practical devices XM3 is probably the greatest headphone amp ever made. . . you should buy them used though because the are cheaper. . .

PLUGED

Oh I totally did!

wink.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Also if spaciousness is you concern I would consider the Porta Corda as the Crossfeed circuit would help you to adjust your sense of soundstage as needed for the recording.

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever followed Strungoutt on his entrance to head-fi?
k1000 -> purchased, tried, annoyed by amp ambiguity, sold
l3000 -> purchased, awaiting
SP MPX3 -> On the verge of purchasing.

This guy has been here for little over a month =O

Also, what the hell, you did not get any responses to this thread since July ?!?!?! God I hate head-fi and its ambiguity.

LoL I'm working a lot slower than that
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I originally joined 5 years ago (lost my original account) to learn more about building cmoy amps. I'm still putzing around building amps and I finally bought a pair of 650s this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back