Portable amp for UE 11's?
May 18, 2008 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tupelo2

New Head-Fier
Ive read through the entire "UE 11 first impressions" thread. Frankly, im confused....

Some like PICO, some LISA III, some predator......

I need some help, lol.

Which one should i buy?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

May 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 8
Some like Pico, some like Lisa, some like predator because...

we are all made differently and think differently, and appreciate things differently. It all depends on your tastes. It's up to you to decide what is important to you. We can't tell you which one you should buy.

Other than that, haha I can't offer any useful advice.

May 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out the features of each one and see which one fits your needs

and may i suggest buying used from the FS forums here?

Im a total newbie..... so i wouldnt even know what to look for....

Can you offer any insight into exactly how they work and perhaps what they each have to offer?

On a side note, i appreciate the suggestion. I didnt know that was an option or that the forum existed. I will look. Thank you.

Does the amp degrade in any way over time?

May 18, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Pico and Predator are pretty much the same thing as far as "type" of amp they are...meaning small, really portable and also have a DAC.

The Lisa is more of a desktop amp, that can be taken on the go because it has batteries (more or less, simply speaking). Imagine toting around a VHS tape, and that's a a LisaIII in terms of portability. You'll also need an RCA cable/adapter in order for you to use the Lisa as it's inputs are RCA jacks.

The advantage the Lisa has over the others is adjustable bass and a bit better voltage swing to power wider variety of cans, but you're going with UE11s, so that doesn't matter so much.

Haven't heard the Pico or Predator, but judging solely from comments here (hype?), you can't really go wrong either way you choose to go of the 3...

May 26, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm in the same situation as you, looking for a replacement for my tomahawk to drive the UE11.

These are the amps that I have narrowed down (based on everyone's reviews over here and at jaben forums) to audition. Hope this helps.

On a personal note, I'm leading heavily towards the iQubes since it runs on AAA batteries which is really better for me as I have to take long bus rides when i go sucba diving. Image stuck with a juiceless amp and an imod with my UE11, pure torture.

Pico
Predator
Headamp AE-2
iQubes

May 26, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 8
I ordered and received the Predator already.

Easy communication with Ray and quick delivery.

The amp literally fits in the palm of your hand. Its amazingly portable.

Ive been too busy and havent had a chance to use it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back