Portable Amp for Sennheiser HD25
Aug 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JesDaMess

New Head-Fier
Looking for a portable amp for my Sennheiser HD 25 ii's. I've heard these won't benefit much from an amp but I still would like one for volume boosting capabilities and I was hoping to hear at least some sort of difference in sound quality / clarity.

My price range is no more than 200$, and portability wise it can be pretty chunky since I will probably be using a backpack while using it.

I'm completely new to headphone amps so I'm not sure if some brands cater more towards different types of music or what, so if any more information would be helpful to you, please don't hesitate to ask. The bulk of my music is electronic but I listen to all genres.

I'm also wondering, does the source the amp is plugged into make a difference in sound quality or is it just the music file. If it does I use a ipod video 5th gen.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Edit: I am using all stock parts for the hd 25, would upgrading the cable be the most cost effective way to get better sound, if so can anyone recommend one.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 3
 Bump haha, anyway I've decided on buying a PA2V2. It was either that or the fiio 11 so I just went with that because cost wise both theses amps seemed like great choices and I'm very low on money atm.

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Looking for a portable amp for my Sennheiser HD 25 ii's. I've heard these won't benefit much from an amp but I still would like one for volume boosting capabilities and I was hoping to hear at least some sort of difference in sound quality / clarity.

My price range is no more than 200$, and portability wise it can be pretty chunky since I will probably be using a backpack while using it.

I'm completely new to headphone amps so I'm not sure if some brands cater more towards different types of music or what, so if any more information would be helpful to you, please don't hesitate to ask. The bulk of my music is electronic but I listen to all genres.

I'm also wondering, does the source the amp is plugged into make a difference in sound quality or is it just the music file. If it does I use a ipod video 5th gen.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Edit: I am using all stock parts for the hd 25, would upgrading the cable be the most cost effective way to get better sound, if so can anyone recommend one.

I haven't used this board for over a year, so it's funny seeing how the same old questions come up again.  

The Senn HD25 IIs do benefit from portable amps (depends on the amp).  I use a TTVJ Milletts Portable with mine.  It is absolutely first class.  The sound quality opens up dramatically and the dynamics are very punchy; sound is very warm and tube amp like (it is a tube amp). 

For something cheap ... a Fiio5 won't make much of a dent.  Maybe a 7 or 11 - possible, but there are a lot of nice amps for that money.  Even an iBasso clone is good.  

iPod sound quality is just horrible.  

You need a DAC/amp combo if you really want to improve the sum of the parts. 

The Cardas cables are too overrated - but it's tricky getting the correct cable upgrade.  You can get decent stock ones like these: 
http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_37974_kabel.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back