portable amp for se530 and ue triple fi 10
Dec 17, 2007 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

al217739

100+ Head-Fier
i bet you lot get this alot but ive looked through many many threads and cant decide on a good one

will i notice enough difference to make the expenditure worth it?

any suggestions for ones to look into?

thanks

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 20
I have the se530s and a Headroom micro amp. I don't notice much of a difference in sound w/my ipod as a source amped or unamped. I talked to some of the Headroom staff and they concurred saying that the 530s have very efficient drivers. I know other headfier's have other opinions. I'm just reporting my experience for what it's worth

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 20
I noticed a nice improvement on my E500's -- exactly the same as your SE530 -- with both my Xenos X1HA-EPC (shameless plug -- which is for sale! see link in sig) and my Meier Corda HEADSIX. Both are inexpensive, and I'd recommend the HEADSIX as it is truly very portable (not much bigger than the 9V battery that powers it).

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_emt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed a nice improvement on my E500's -- exactly the same as your SE530 -- with both my Xenos X1HA-EPC (shameless plug -- which is for sale! see link in sig) and my Meier Corda HEADSIX. Both are inexpensive, and I'd recommend the HEADSIX as it is truly very portable (not much bigger than the 9V battery that powers it).

The Corda Move was very impressive on the triple.fi when I owned them for a while. I would expect the HEADSIX with about the same amp section as the Move to be a great choice that you would not regret.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 20
It depend how you use it!
Using iPod line out (dock connector) I hear a clear difference icw my iQube, and worth it if you like clear treansparent sound. Using the headphone out I still hear a difference but less prominent. Btw. I'm using TripleFi's.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 20
I would suggest the Tomahawk. If you are going for the portability and will use IEMs for the most part, take the sound quality and battery life.

I'm actually interested in the TTVJ Millet but I need to get my home rig sorted out before any more portable stuff.

Good luck!

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depend how you use it!
Using iPod line out (dock connector) I hear a clear difference icw my iQube, and worth it if you like clear treansparent sound. Using the headphone out I still hear a difference but less prominent. Btw. I'm using TripleFi's.

The iQube is amazing, but at the price range, I might as well recommend the PRII mkII or LISA III albeit they are much bigger. I would rather have the Pico myself. You could get the predator and beat out the tomahawk.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by barmar46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the se530s and a Headroom micro amp. I don't notice much of a difference in sound w/my ipod as a source amped or unamped. I talked to some of the Headroom staff and they concurred saying that the 530s have very efficient drivers. I know other headfier's have other opinions. I'm just reporting my experience for what it's worth

Agreed. Using the e500s, I was unable to hear any difference between the headphone out of a Nano and the line out to a Tomahawk. I spent weeks going back and forth and finally sold the Tomahawk.

Going even further, using the e500s I can't detect a difference between my iPod Classic's headphone out, and a USB DAC1 amping the headphones, both playing lossless files.

Apropos of nothing, this tells me that that iPod Classic is a surprisingly good source, and that the e500s don't need expensive amplification.

Next up I'm waiting for my Pico to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back