Portable Amp for Home Use?
Nov 12, 2008 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tubes

500+ Head-Fier
Can a portable amp be used for home use and still get good results? I've read that some portable amps are noisy when using the AC adaptor for power. I'd appreciate any recommendations for an affordable amp with good sound quality or would I be better off with something like a Little Dot I+. Thanks.

Phill

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 20
Tubes: great dog ya got there. Looks like Ugga. My son has three bulldogs and they're wonderful animals.

Now down to the response: I too am looking for a real upgrade from my Hornet that can also be used as a stationary bediside unit. Using 5.5gImod so no real use in a full-bodied home amp. No real budget in mind. Something from Headroom?? The SR-71a?? Dunno. Talk to us.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 20
For my beside unit, I am using my Decware ZH1. It is larger than most of the pocket amps, but has very nice sound, a superb crossfeed implementation, and is powered by 1 9v cell that lasts about 50 hours. No provision for external power, so no hum worries. The SQ is very reminiscent of a good quality tube amp.

Decware is also noted for their high-quality tube amps and the ZH1 was designed for a similar SQ.

If you really want to go high-class, consider the iQube. Outperforms many desktop rigs. Battery life over 100 hours. Can be powered by 5v DC power, if desired. Size is about like a pack of king-size cigarettes, much smaller than the ZH1.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 20
I really like my Decware Zen Head. It mates well with my Grado 325i, but also my other cans, AKG 271s and Yuin PK1. It performs okay with my AKG 701's, but they need something bigger.

The Zen Head does have the SQ of a tube amp (for which Decware is famous). HiFlight is dead on with his description of the Zen Head. Nice amp. Big. I use mine at home usually, but will travel with it.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 20
When it comes out, I'll be using a Fiio E5 universally. If it sounds good to you, stick with it and enjoy. No need to reach perfection right away.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it comes out, I'll be using a Fiio E5 universally. If it sounds good to you, stick with it and enjoy. No need to reach perfection right away.

That's the spirit!! I could just buy an iQube and be done with amp shopping, but where's the fun in that?

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my beside unit, I am using my Decware ZH1. It is larger than most of the pocket amps, but has very nice sound, a superb crossfeed implementation, and is powered by 1 9v cell that lasts about 50 hours. No provision for external power, so no hum worries. The SQ is very reminiscent of a good quality tube amp.

Decware is also noted for their high-quality tube amps and the ZH1 was designed for a similar SQ.

If you really want to go high-class, consider the iQube. Outperforms many desktop rigs. Battery life over 100 hours. Can be powered by 5v DC power, if desired. Size is about like a pack of king-size cigarettes, much smaller than the ZH1.

Ron: thanks for the tip. Went to the website and looks quite impressive. How do you compare its SQ to Ray Samuels' Hornet/Predator or Xin's Supermacro or Reference???

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 20
I like my 3MOVE. It can run w/ USB power alone if you use the DAC, or your regular 9V battery when you are not (40hrs on high current mode, 100hrs on low). It also takes 6~12V DC w/o any noise.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ron: thanks for the tip. Went to the website and looks quite impressive. How do you compare its SQ to Ray Samuels' Hornet/Predator or Xin's Supermacro or Reference???

I haven't had a chance to compare it with the Hornet or Supermacro, but IIRC, it is right up there with the Reference and Predator. Of course no DAC. Outstanding crossfeed. Makes it easy to listen to for long periods without fatigue.

I was going to sell mine, as I have a bunch of other portables, but it makes a perfect bedside rig.

I can't really find anything to criticize about the SQ.

Ron

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm what about for those that have limited-sized wallets?

perhaps in the 250$ range?

Keep a close eye on the Head-Fi "For Sale" forum, just be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back