Portable Amp for HF2 ($200 or less: PB1 balanced, D4, T3, Mini^3, other?)
Oct 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hellomoto

Head-Fier
Hello!

First, please apologize for my approximative English, (yes, the French school system didn't manage to help us talk another languages...), I hope you'll get me!

So, I'm about to conclude a deal, I'll maybe receive a Grado HF2 in the weeks coming. I'm litterally emptying my wallet (I'm a college student), but the Grado HF2 just looks like the perfect rig for my tastes. I currently own a Grado SR80i, I bought a year ago, I absolutely love it, I now find all the other headphones boring lol. Anyway, I wanted a headphone with a bit more bass, as a huge fan of The Who, and better overall quality. I'm considering buying a portable amp, when I'm out of town, or hanging around in the appartment, or going to a friend... Christmas may be the way to afford it (I know it's in two month, but I have a huge mass of work, and not that much time to take a look at all the options, I need time to figure what would be the best choice, and yes, I do suffer from upgradasis, no money, but always looking at a way to improve to my setup... but isn't it the pleasure?!).

My current source is a Cowon X5, old, ugly and unergonomic, but what a sound, my music is mainly ripped from cd, in mp3 vbr0 q0 Lame. I currently don't have a computer, at least not in my bedroom, so I don't consider a dac as mandatory, more like a plus for the future.

Here are the different options I'm facing and dealing with:
- Don't get a portable amp, it'll be useless considering my actual setup, not worth the price or anything...
- Spend my money on a better source.
- Spend my money on a desktop amp
- Build myself a DIY Mini^3, 130$ shipped to France, I've read a lot of great review on the pairing HF2/Pico, but it's way out of my budget, and the Mini^3 looks like its budget equivalent, that's what I read in some topic.
- Buy a Nuforce uDac 2, lot of great review again, how would it pair with the HF2?
- Buy an iBasso T3, looks quite nice too
- Buy an iBasso D2+, with integrated DAC, so not the priority, how would it compare to the T3?
- Any other dac that should fit in my price range.

What would be the best fit for the HF2?

I'm sorry to bother you with one of this multiple threads, but I couldn't find all the informations I needed, or at least, I didn't manage to.

Thank you very much for your help and your attention,

Antoine

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 19
The HF-2's have sounded pretty decent with everything I've put them with.  However, I thought my D10 complimented them nicely and helped give the HF-2's a nice open sound (while using the stock opamps).  The D10 will also allow you to grow in the future if you decide to use the DAC with a PC, etc.

Used D10's can be had now for around $200.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 19
I've seen a lot of reviews, some greats, some other less of this Dac/Amp. Has someone compared it with the Mini^3, or the iBasso T3?

I think my main goal would be a Pico, but they are way to expensive for my wallet, which one would be the closest? I'm primarily looking for SQ, and not looking for the best bang for your buck, rather for the best in my price range. I've also noticed the Corda in Skylab's comparison, how would it compliment with HF2's?

Thanks,

Antoine

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 19
How would the amp part of the D10 compare to the T3 or the Mini^3? Is it not better to buy one of these two, plus the uDac, when I would need a DAC?

Thanks

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 19
Interesting, I didn't think about this one.

Should I build a special LOD for my X5, to have a better sound, and use the amp at his best? I mean, my Cowon X5 is not a balanced source.

Thanks,

Antoine

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
When I had the X5, I actually preferred amping the headphone out to using the line out dock.  Better sound all around.

As far as being balanced, the Toucan (like the Protector) can input single ended and output a balanced signal.

Then,I won't find any difference in sq by building a classic 3.5 interconnect or a 3.5 to Hirose interconnect right?

Also, will I have much better result by going desktop in this price range?

Thanks,

Antoine

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 19
Thanks!

This toucan seems really interesting! How would it compare to the D10 or a desktop amp at the same price, paired with hf2?

Thanks

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
If you owned the Toucan for example, you would need a mini to mini interconnect to get from the X5 to the amp...and then headphones reterminated in the Hirose plug.

Yes, you would need the mini to mini for the input, but if you are not using balanced phones, you could use the SE output of the Toucan instead of the Hirose balanced output.

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 19
If i go with The toucan, i will also rewire the heaphones, im okay with that.

Hiflight, you have all the iBasso amps im looking at, How does The pb1 with balanced headphones compare tp The other ones (only considering sq of The amp part, nothing else)

Thanks!

Antoine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back